Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk partitions not organizing correctly?

So I just did a clean install of 10.8. After I partition my HDD into two. Looks like this:

User uploaded file

Then I formatted the other partition to OS Journaled Encrypted. Looks like this:

(2 TB WDC... changes to the name of my partition, that white block and the indented partition below it say my partition name [I just covered it in the screen shot])

User uploaded file

Then I turn file vault on and it looks like this:

User uploaded file

>_< Am I doing something wrong? Why is each partition showing up like it's own drive

-----------------------

When I click on my other partition or the Macintosh HD and select the partition tab it shows both of them on both my other partition and the Macintosh HD:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I just remember the last time I did this exact same procedure (Clean install, partition after, format 2nd partiton to OS Journaled, turned on file vault for the home/Macintosh HD partition) it ended up looking like:

User uploaded file

Is it just a viewing option or...?

24" chrome intel imac, 3.06C2D. 4GB of ram. 500GB hard drive. nvidia 8800, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 12:15 AM

6 replies

Dec 2, 2013 10:36 PM in response to Pennet Smith

I also wondered the same thing and Linc Davis's comment hit the nail on the head That's the way uh uh D U CSV likes it. !

I partitioned 5 on a 500GB HD OS 10. 6/7/8/9 and it seems depending on which OS you install from 10.6 the array is different and if you use FileVault on anu of them they become blanked and you should be VERY CAREFUL when repairing disk and permmissions also you will be propmted to give your log in password from another volume YES lion asked for my Mountain lion password ! when you want to put the Volume o the desk top they all did and yet they are not connected NEVER USE ANOTHER Partitioned VOLUME DO NOT especiall after File Vault because the Home folders can not read each other

Please someone correct me if I am wrong this is my experience with partitions Apple Call centre warned of too many OS's on 1 computer.

Disk partitions not organizing correctly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.