Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If you delete browsing history on an IPAD does that really erase it or is is still there but can be written over if memory gets low?

With a desktop or laptop you can delete your browsing history but it is still on your hard drive. Deleting it simply means that if your hard drive fills up and needs the space then the deleted area becomes available. Is that the same for an IPAD? Or when you delete your browsing history on the IPAD does that really eliminate any record of going to that web page?

iPad, iOS 6.1

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 1:06 PM

Thank you. To back up an IPAD, does it have to be plugged into a desktop (and backed up via Itunes)? Or can it also be backed up remotely and wirelessly.

I ask because I have a company provided IPAD and am trying to figure out whether any personal websurfing is being stored on a company server. My websurfing is done at home via wireless using a personal internet provider. So I am guessing that any webpages visited are kept private if I am in the "in private" Safari setting, and otherwise are stored in my IPAD but not externally unless I plug my IPAD into my computer and do a backup.

Thank you for any insight here.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2013 1:06 PM in response to Demo

Thank you. To back up an IPAD, does it have to be plugged into a desktop (and backed up via Itunes)? Or can it also be backed up remotely and wirelessly.

I ask because I have a company provided IPAD and am trying to figure out whether any personal websurfing is being stored on a company server. My websurfing is done at home via wireless using a personal internet provider. So I am guessing that any webpages visited are kept private if I am in the "in private" Safari setting, and otherwise are stored in my IPAD but not externally unless I plug my IPAD into my computer and do a backup.

Thank you for any insight here.

Aug 4, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Kaiula

If you want to totally clear Safari with no evidence of where you have been go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Data. Clear everything and there wll be no traces left of your browsing history.

However, if you were to restore from a backup that was created before you cleared Safari, then your History would be restored because it is contained in that backup.

Aug 4, 2013 1:20 PM in response to Kaiula

An iPad can be backed up over WiFi with iTunes or you can plug into your computer and use iTunes to backup that way. You can only backup your iPad wirelessly to your own computer if you are on the same WiFi network. So you cannot remotely backup your iPad to your home computer from work. You have to be on your home wiFi network to backup via WiFi to your computer.

However, you can also backup your iPad via WiFi using iCloud, if you have iCloud setup on your iPad and you can do this anywhere that you are connected to the Internet via WiFi.

In both cases the iPad can be setup to backup automatically if the device is plugged into power, the device is locked (asleep) and you are connected to WiFi.

This might help you understand the process a little better.

How to backup and restore from a backup

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

As long as you are using private browsing nobody should be able to track your Internet usage from the device itself. There are always ways to track what someone is doing over the Internet if you have the knowledge and the wherewithal to do so but that would occur from the ISP and not the device itself.

But keep in mind that if your are doing something on the Internet that you feel that uncomfortable doing, then you probably shouldn't be doing it. If you have concerns about your browsing usage you might want to consider talking to your employer as well, since after all, it is their iPad.

But if you use private browsing, there should be no evidence of your browsing history on the device that can be accessed by anyone from the device itself. Your employer cannot access your history remotely on the device itself.

Aug 4, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Demo

Very helpful, thank you. I agree with your advice. Really it was more to understand whether webpages I visit on my IPAD get stored in a company server somewhere. While it is a work IPAD that I use mostly for work, it is so convenient for personal web browsing, Ibooks, etc that I use it for that as well. Best bet is to buy a personal IPAD but until I do that I'll be using this one and thus would want to know if every page I visit gets recorded on our company server. Thanks again.

If you delete browsing history on an IPAD does that really erase it or is is still there but can be written over if memory gets low?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.