Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an external camera that can be used with the e-mac? I am able to Skype but I need a camera. Help.

Is there an external camera that can be used with the e-mac?

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 9:31 AM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2013 11:40 AM in response to winter1947

Hi, is it a USB1.1 eMac, or a USB2 eMac?

So we know more about it...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, report the version of OSX from that window, then click on More Info, then click on Hardware> and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: eMac

Model Identifier: PowerMac6,4

Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

Processor Speed: 1.42 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 1

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.9.2f1

Aug 4, 2013 6:06 PM in response to winter1947

logitech makes a few webcams that are compatible with your eMac.

Here is the only Mac/PC compatible webcam left on Logitech's website.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/hd-webcam-c615?crid=34

This webcam works with my older PowerMac G4 MDD tower running OS X 10.5.8 Leopard

By the way, your eMac can take a total of 2 GBs of RAM and if you want, you can upgrade and run OS X 10.5 Leopard on your eMac as well.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (macsales.com).

You can call Apple at 1-800-MYAPPLE and ask for a software sales rep. Tell them you need a replacement OS restore and system hardware test discs for your model eMac. You will need to give then your eMac's serial number (located inside behind the optical drive cover) and you also need a credit card as there will be a charge of less than $20 U.S.D. for processing, shipping and handling.

If you can't get a copy of OS X 10.5 Leopard from Apple, you will need to try Amazon or eBay for the official Apple OEM retail OS X install discs of Leopard. These have a multicolored star field with a black "X" on the disc/s.

Good Luck!

Aug 5, 2013 7:16 AM in response to winter1947

Yes, I'm with MichelPM--256MB RAM is barely enough to run your OS. Your model eMac was the only one with proper video hardware support for OS 10.5 but you need more RAM

NOTE about sourcing the extra RAM: Crucial is good BUT not for USB2 eMacs. They do not recognize its ability to take the extra RAM, preferring to stick with Apple's outdates spec sheet:

User uploaded file

OWC is the only place I trust to get the RAM needed to get to 2GB:

1GB PC2700 DDR 333MHz CAS 2.5 184 Pin DIMM

I have two of those modules in our 1.42G eMac and it is 100 percent stable.

Is there an external camera that can be used with the e-mac? I am able to Skype but I need a camera. Help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.