Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule restore issues.

Hi all,

I'm trying to restore from Time Machine I keep getting this error message "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “boot.efi” can’t be read or written.(Error code -36)" My internal HDD was failing so I did a backup via Time Machine, replaced the HDD with a hybrid drive and re-installed Mtn Lion. All seems to move along fine until it encounters the boot.efi file. I've read in other forums that this file is needed and shouldn't be altered whether permissions, etc...

Has anyone have any idea what's going on?

Looking to recover the Macintosh HD from TM to my new internal HDD that has Mtn on it.

Thanks ,

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 9:40 AM

8 replies

Aug 4, 2013 9:57 AM in response to LowLuster

Hey LowLuster,

I had to attempt the restore once I re-installed Mtn Lion, via App Store. My 2010 MBP came with SL, when I tried restoring using the install disk from TM back up I was met with a slightly different issue, processing the files to copy, but not being able to actually copy files over.

Hmmm, I was not aware of the drive cables issue, I did a little reasearch before getting the hybrid drive and other had success install the exact drive on my model. Using the computer everything is fine, I just can't restore properly, connected via ethernet cable to my time capsule.

Aug 4, 2013 12:36 PM in response to super_Global

Since it seems you successfully reinstalled Mountain Lion boot the system from the mountain Lion recovery HD, Command+r keys at startup, and use the otion to Restore your system from a Time Machine backup. It should pickup you TC and allow you to do the restore.

Not sure but I don't think it is possible to use an older version of OS X and the Time Machine restore system to restore a newer version of OS X.

But the Recovery HD should work.

If that fails and the original drive can still be read you can use the Setup Assistant feature at initial boot of the newly install OS to copy over Files, Programs, settings and user accounts.

Time Capsule restore issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.