Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mouse moves on its own

hey,

does anyone have the same problem?

my mouse on the screen moves on its own and presses random buttons:( so annoying

I haven't had this computer even a year and its giving me a problem.

I use logitec wireless mouse. is there anything i need to set up in the preferences?

thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 12:21 PM

userloser87 wrote:

hey,

NOPE!

my mouse on the screen moves on its own and presses random buttons:( so annoying

I use logitec wireless mouse. is there anything i need to set up in the preferences?

Did you go into its Preferences and/or Control Panel & check? 😕

thank you

Does it happen with an Apple mouse? Have you contacted Logitec customer support and/or posted in their forums?

Have you read for possible solutions over in the "More Like This" thread over here?----------------------->

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2013 12:21 PM in response to userloser87

userloser87 wrote:

hey,

NOPE!

Did you go into its Preferences and/or Control Panel & check? 😕

thank you

Does it happen with an Apple mouse? Have you contacted Logitec customer support and/or posted in their forums?

Have you read for possible solutions over in the "More Like This" thread over here?----------------------->

User uploaded file

Aug 4, 2013 12:48 PM in response to userloser87

There are several possible causes for this issue. Take each of the following steps until it's resolved.

1. Follow the instructions in this support article.

2. Open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check for unknown or forgotten input devices. Disconnect any USB input devices that you aren't using.

3. Boot in safe mode and test, preferably without launching any third-party applications. If you don't have the problem in safe mode, but it comes back when you reboot as usual, stop here and post your results. If you can't boot in safe mode, do the same. If you booted in safe mode and there was no change, go on to the next step.

4. Reset the System Management Controller.

5. If you're using a Bluetooth trackpad, investigate potential sources of interference, including USB 3 devices.

6. A swollen battery in a MacBook Pro or Air can impinge on the trackpad from below and cause erratic behavior. If you have trouble clicking the trackpad, this is likely the reason. The battery must be replaced.

7. There's a report that a (possibly defective) Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter can cause the built in trackpad of a MacBook to behave erratically. If you're using such an adapter, disconnect it and test.

8. There's also a report of erratic cursor movements caused by an external display that was connected but not turned on.

9. If none of the above applies, or if you have another reason to think your computer is being remotely controlled, remove it from the network by turning off Wi-Fi (or your Wi-Fi access point), disconnecting from a Bluetooth network link, and unplugging the Ethernet cable or USB modem, whichever is applicable. If the cursor movements stop at once, you should suspect an intrusion.

10. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested.

Aug 4, 2013 2:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

thank you! Right after I wrote here my problem I unpluggeg my usb connection to the mouse and waited 10 sec. Put it back in. It works for now. I am just not going to touch the trakcpad. I think that what causes the confusion: maily the combination of using a trackpad and mouse at the same time.

I tried to to to System Preferences>>Bluetooth. But it doesn't show me any options to check the unknown or forgotten devices 😟 , neither Sharing Setup nor Advanced ... It could be a defect in the battery so i will wait a little longer and see if the problem comes back. If it does I will take it to apple store

thank you for your help 😀

mouse moves on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.