Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't my iPhone notify me when I have a new text message?

My iPhone 4S doesn't notify me when I get a new text message or iMessage. The phone is not in silent and the volume of the phone is at 10. I keep my phone near me all the time, I can hear the phone ring if it rings. Usually when I text someone, I send the message and immediately lock the phone after. After about 15 minutes wondering if that person replied, I open my phone and find that I have a new message, the phone didn't ring or light up saying I have a new message. The people I text get mad because I never reply, but the truth is, my phone doesn't notify with a new message.

Sometimes I send a text, press the home button, and then lock my phone. Even when I do that, my phone doesn't notify me. What wrong with my phone? How do I fix this?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2017 6:23 AM

Well i have the same issue, and my sis have it before also.

she never got message from me ever from the screen, but if she go on inbox then she see my new message.

same as i now never got message from my BF, but everyone els i got!

so what u wanna do is do a back up on everything you have on your phone.

after you backup your phone u go to general settings - and go to reset, and then last one.

delete all content and all settings - the phone will delete every settings you have done, but ofc your picture,message and stuff wouldnt be delete, but make sure u do a back up for it anyway 😉

VOILA! your message will pop up on the screen as normal again.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2017 6:23 AM in response to Jsdima9113

Well i have the same issue, and my sis have it before also.

she never got message from me ever from the screen, but if she go on inbox then she see my new message.

same as i now never got message from my BF, but everyone els i got!

so what u wanna do is do a back up on everything you have on your phone.

after you backup your phone u go to general settings - and go to reset, and then last one.

delete all content and all settings - the phone will delete every settings you have done, but ofc your picture,message and stuff wouldnt be delete, but make sure u do a back up for it anyway 😉

VOILA! your message will pop up on the screen as normal again.

Aug 4, 2013 12:54 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I never drain my battery 100% unless I have no other choice. Such a deep battery discharge is not good for the battery and should not be done often.

No, the phone cannot "drain the battery 100%," The shutdown cutoff is way above battery depletion and is designed not to damage the battery when done occasionally (though doing so repetitively over a long period may shorten battery life span).

Draining the battery to cut off keeps the meter calibrated and Apple recommends doing so monthly. Also, a small memory effect has recently been documented for Li-ion batteries and this will help prevent it.

Aug 4, 2013 1:08 PM in response to Jsdima9113

Yes, if you restore the backup as well. Apps and music/media are separate from the backup and are synced from your iTunes or redownloaded from the store or iCloud. Syncing contacts, calendars, notes with an app on your computer or cloud service as well as importing your camera roll photos to your computer will save them if you can't use the backup

If you restore as new, you will lose all phone and app settings, app data, and messages. Any emails from a POP server not remaining on the server will be lose.

Why doesn't my iPhone notify me when I have a new text message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.