Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

there isa message from Apple that I have an update for an app, but when I try toopen the update there is a window which seays 'You have updates available for other accounts'.

How do I download an update when I get a window which says 'You have updates available for other accounts'

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 2:02 PM

14 replies

Aug 4, 2013 2:26 PM in response to 35Terry

35Terry wrote:

Can't do that because I have changed carriers and have forgotten the password for the old address.

Unless you can remember the password to the other account you will not be able to update. This is another Apple ID not anything to do with your carrier.

If it is an app you acquired from outside the app store you may never be able to update it.

Aug 4, 2013 4:46 PM in response to 35Terry

Please try each of the following steps you haven't already taken, until the issue is resolved. After each step, relaunch the App Store and try again.

1. Follow the instructions in this Apple Support article.

2. If any App Store purchases were made under a different Apple ID, or if the bundled iLife applications were accepted under a different ID, sign in to the App Store with that ID to update.

3. Alternatively, delete the probem applications and re-download them with the ID you're using now. If you haven't already purchased them with that ID, you'll have to do that first, because purchases can't be transferred from one account to another.

4. Select the Purchased tab in the App Store window. If you see an item in the list marked "You have 3 apps to accept," click Accept.

5. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/adoption.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu. A Finder window may open with a file selected. If it does, delete the selected file. You may be prompted for your login password.

Then repeat step 4.

6. Select

Store View My Account

from the App Store menu bar, then select View hidden purchases. If you're trying to update any hidden purchases, unhide them.

7. Launch iTunes and select

Store Authorize This Computer

from the menu bar.

8. If you've moved any App Store apps out of the applications folder, or into a subfolder, put them back. Never move or copy those applications.

9. Contact Account and Billing Support.

Sep 2, 2013 8:30 PM in response to 35Terry

Apple!!!! This is a completely ridiculous problem that is occuring on my mom's laptop now -- very annoying. She even has her own newly created Apple ID, and mine is not even used on her computer -- yet it keeps referencing me since I added a free Bible app for her when I first bought her computer because she did not want to create the Apple ID for herself then. Uuggggh! I will try deleting the app and installing it again, but the other updates for iPhoto and iMovie should NOT be causing this probelm -- they both came with her laptop and they are software she already owns!!!!

Sep 3, 2013 4:40 AM in response to cr8v

Where was Terminal ever mentioned in this thread?

The reason it asks for your account is you used it to download iPhoto and iMovie for her when you set it up. As you state, she didn't want to set up an AppleID then, so you used yours and forever linked yourself with her computer.

cr8v, I thought you were the original poster. Please start a new thread instead of hijacking this one.

Sep 3, 2013 10:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E -- what the heck are you talking about? Its not my problem that you didn't see that I replied to the original question/poster. And as I stated, the issue is the same one I am experiencing (same error message - read buddy). So understand, there is no hijacking going on. You should read more closely. Also, I can reply to any post I want to -- especially when it is relevant. Who do you think you are? So no, I will not start a new thread.

Also as added information on this issue, embedded in this thread and cross referenced on this issue across several other threads, there are several others who mentioned the use of Terminal and they were more helpful in trying to assist those of us encoutering this problem.

If you can't be helpful without being nasty or snarky, simply don't reply!

Sep 3, 2013 10:45 AM in response to cr8v

Your mum's issue is because your account was used to download an app that now needs updating. As your mum is using a different account she will not be able to update it unless she signs out of her account and into yours.

Deleting the app and re-downloading it using her account will fix the problem.

Terminal will not be required.

Sep 3, 2013 10:45 AM in response to Barney-15E

All -- Apple just helped me fix this problem. The two porgrams were removed and then reinstalled using my mom's Apple ID, so the error message no longer appears. Barney-15E's comments about 'forever linking myself to her computer' are totally incorrect and wrong.

Thanks Apple for your prompt response and quicker than quick fix of this frustrating problem!!

there isa message from Apple that I have an update for an app, but when I try toopen the update there is a window which seays 'You have updates available for other accounts'.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.