Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know of a controller for FCPX that lets you control trigger effects and video in real time?

Hi - I wanted to know if anyone is aware of a controller that would allow me to control video effects in real time in FCPX? Something in the same way that a midi controller/sampler like the M-audio Trigger Finger allows you to drop songs in the assigned pad and then sample "chop" up the audio by pressing different pads to make beats? This technique is popular for a lot of Hip Hop beatmakers.

I wanted to know if there was an equivalent for FCPX? I work on a lot of music videos and its tedious and dulls creativity by having to manually use the cut tool and drag in different clip each time, align them with audio and so forth. If there was a way to assign clips to a device that allowed me to switch back and forth between clips by using buttons and also controlling visual effects at the same time by pressing buttons, editing music videos would be a breeze, would probably turn out a lot more creatively, and would jive with the music a lot better.

I hope I explained this correctly, but I couldn't find anything else on the internet (:0) that matched this description.

Thank you & respectfully,

Tony

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 1:30 PM

3 replies

Apr 11, 2014 5:02 PM in response to Nick Holmes

Nick,

What he's asking for would actually be really useful for a video editor. He specifically says he wants to edit music videos more intuitively.

I wish for this all the time.

dbehelm, You could always run Isadora, set something to trigger switches when music hits a certain volume, and then record the output to a video file. It would be fun and entertaining and all but it would mean your edit was not tweakable, so not ideal, plus a lot of investment in software and learning about it.

I would recommend using Multicamera clips, and just put stuff into multiclips that aren't really synced - two shots you want to edit between, lined up however you like, and then just use the number pad to switch angles at whim. Do it in real-time so you can play with rhythm and beat naturally.

Imovie used to be able to use beat markers, but it's gone now.

Anyone know of a controller for FCPX that lets you control trigger effects and video in real time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.