Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing photos

For the last two weeks, I have downloaded photos from my camera's memory card into i-photo, and they have appeared, but then when I next load i-photo they have gone.

I have unfortunately deleted the photos off the camera at the time of import and have no back up 😟

The only other thing I have noticed is that an "Image Capture" window keeps opening now when I start up the computer/i-photo, which I had never seen before until a couple of weeks ago.

Any suggestions please?

iMac

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 2:31 PM

25 replies

Aug 4, 2013 2:32 PM in response to Make Do and Mend

What version of iPhoto? Asuming 09 or later:

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Aug 5, 2013 4:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terrence,

I have gone inside the masters folder and located the pictures.

So i copied the pics and went to trans them back to iphoto and i can do this but then it says that there are suplicates, however i cannot see the originals...

what can i do about this? i have edited the origs and dont want to ave to do it again unless i have to

cheers

Aug 5, 2013 8:00 AM in response to dennisj84

dennisj84 wrote:

Hi Terrence,

I have gone inside the masters folder and located the pictures.

So i copied the pics and went to trans them back to iphoto and i can do this but then it says that there are suplicates, however i cannot see the originals...

what can i do about this? i have edited the origs and dont want to ave to do it again unless i have to

cheers

the suggestion was to "Look" - not to move or import or do anything except to see if the photos were in the masters folder

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a folder called Masters. Are your photos inside?

This is NOT a solution but an attempt to help a different user discover what their problem is - and unless you have exactly the same configuration and exactly the same problem may not be useful or advisable for you

Unless you are spcifically directed to go into the iPhoto library by an experianced user who knows your personal situation you shouold never be in it - it is dangerous and not necessary except under unusual circumstanses

And note you are not sending things to anyone - this is a public forum and you are posting in it

LN

Missing photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.