Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are the USB 3.0 ports on the newest iMacs able to run at full bandwidth independently of each other?

I have the late 2012 27 inch iMac with four USB 3.0 ports

My question is, can each of these ports run at full USB 3.0 bandwidth INDEPENDENTLY of each other?

I want to plug a device such as Kensington's SD3500v Docking Station in to one of my USB 3.0 ports and want to make sure that won't adversely affect the speed/bandwidth capability of the other free USB 3.0 ports on the back of the iMac.

Thank you for any concrete facts anyone can provide. I have been unable to find the answer on my own.

I'll be going into an Apple store tomorrow to ask a genius if I can't find the answer out online.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 24 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 3:52 PM

5 replies

Aug 5, 2013 12:14 AM in response to DigitalDuderino

Use your iMac System Information utility.

1. From the Apple  menu, choose About this Mac.
  2. Click More Info.
  3. Click System Report.
  4. In the Hardware section of the System Report, click USB.
  5. You will see the USB 3 section.
    All your USB 3 devices will appear in the "USB 3.0 SuperSpeed" section.
    Clicking the disclosure triangle will allow you to see more details.

Ref: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172

All the USB 3 hubs and USB 3 devices that conform to what is referred to as the "2008 version 1 USB 3.0 specification" are supported. The first device you plug in will configure the port, so always connect USB 3 capable hubs and/or devices first.

Jul 29, 2014 8:25 AM in response to DigitalDuderino

I would also like to know the answer to this specific question. Did anybody find concrete documentation regarding this specification?

Our team wanted to know if each USB 3.0 port had it's own bus able to run the theoretical 5 Gbps speed or is the theoretical speed shared between all of the ports. I ran across a post on Mac Performance Guide that spoke about the ports on the new Mac Pro (2013) that said the USB 3.0 ports share one single bus. In contrast, it states that the Retina Macbook Pros run each USB 3.0 port on independent busses, thus resulting in better performance.

So the question still stands, how does the 2012 iMac handle USB 3.0 speeds? Please provide credible documentation if you have the answer.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Are the USB 3.0 ports on the newest iMacs able to run at full bandwidth independently of each other?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.