Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i am unable to format HD.

I am unable to format HD. Disk utility has "erase" greyed out. I select the HD and, erase tab, but cannot select erase. I am using osx 10.6.8 on a 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. I cannot even boot from the install disk, the computer ejects it after reboot. I tried holding down "C" during reboot, same thing, and same thing happens when I hold "command c" during reboot. All I want to do is wipe the computer and install osx 10.4.8 (of which I have the disk).

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 8:11 PM

2 replies

Aug 7, 2013 12:02 PM in response to flyerwagon

You won't be able to erase the hard drive unless you are accessing Disk Utility when booted to the install disc. I understand that you have tried booting to the installation DVD, and it is not booting to it successfully. Try this.

1. Shut down the computer
  2. Power the computer on while holding option. Don't let go of option until you see an image of a hard drive there.
  3. Insert the installation disc. An image of DVD should appear.
  4. Click on the image of the DVD.
  5. If you get the language screen, select the language and click the right arrow button.
  6. Click the Utilities menu, the choose Disk Utility.
  7. Select a volume to erase (usually called Macintosh HD).
  8. Click the Erase tab.

You should now have the option to erase Macintosh HD

i am unable to format HD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.