Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone used the mackeeper software?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 4:43 AM

See below.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3036

6 replies

Aug 12, 2013 1:14 PM in response to fitzygolf

Short answer: I don't recommend it, but it's not "a scam" or malware, per se. If you use it, you may have some real performance issues.

Me: I was an actual MacKeeper user (paid version) for about two years. What follows is my experience and conclusions. I am not a paid reviewer, nor tech professional. I am an educator with about 15 years of experience using Macs. I am what most people would call a "prosumer," in that I know a good deal about my systerm, but am not a techie, anti-utility software zealot, etc. I have no affiliation with Zeobit (manufacturer of MacKeeper) nor any of its competitors.

I bought MacKeeper in 2011, and then upgraded last year. I used it to remove junk files and duplicates, and experimented with the anti-virus software. I didn't use most of the other features.

The problem: I am running a 2009 15" Macbook Pro 2.8GHZ Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 512GB HDD. Over the past year, it has been having major performance issues. Slowdowns, hangups, applications quitting and more were all becoming the norm. I deleted duplicate files and ran MacKeeper a few times a month. I also ran permissions repairs regularly (disk utility). I looked for the cause of the slowdowns everywhere, from too many user accounts being open, to resource hogs. I decided that MacKeeper's Anti-Virus software was just taking up too much RAM and CPU, so I disabled it. I continued experiencing slowdowns and started monitoring my available RAM with a freeware app called Memory Clean. It often reported that I had less than 500MB available, even with very light usage, application wise. After "cleaning" memory, I could get my available RAM to about 1.5GB, max. I struggled with these issues for a year or more, and was about ready to concede defeat and buy a new machine. I figured my MBP was over four years old, and perhaps running Mountain Lion and normal wear/tear were just too much.

This morning, I noticed that the biggest resource hog on my system was a process called "MacKeeper Helper." The process relaunches even when it is forced to quit. It was consuming over 100MB of RAM and up to 99 percent of my CPU at times! I also noticed a process called "anti-virus" that also could not be quit, and was consuming over 100MB of RAM itself. I started researching how to kill these processes, and was introduced the the Great Online MacKeeper Controversy. Here is what I learned:

• Some in the Mac community have pure hatred for this product (and some hate all like it).
  • There were numerous user reports of it slowing down systems
  • Zeobit seemed to be guilty of questionable ethics, particularly in its advertising.
  • There was no way to stop MacKeeper Helper and Anti-Virus processes from running with deleting the entire application.
  • I wasn't the only one annoyed by MacKeeper's system pop-ups, trying to sell me something I already bought.
  • The software got good professional reviews, even from well-respected publications (e.g. MacWorld)
  • It is often confused with Mac Defender, which WAS malware. They two are not associated.

The Decision: After researching ways of fully uninstalling MacKeeper (and considering whether or not I should), I decided to try the uninstall instructions from the manufacturer. It said that it would remove ALL traces of the application. I also didn't want to get into too much Terminal work and manually deleting things, as some users suggested doing. I followed the process (close app, drag to trash, enter password, click "uninstall"). I then ran a permissions repair and restarted.

The Results: I have been MacKeeper-free for about an hour as I write this. Put simply, my problems appear to be completely solved. MacKeeper Helper and Anti-Virus are gone. Available RAM is now up to 2.75GB. I have experienced no slowdowns or app crashes. Even bootup appeared to be considerably faster. Launching iPhoto with thousands of images now takes a few seconds instead of minutes. Everything feels faster. It's like I have my Mac back! I was ready to admit defeat and dish out another $2500+ that I didn't have. I now think that won't be necessary!

What Should Yo Do? You'll find a lot of controversy out there between professional reviews, ethically dubious paid reviews, Zeobit's own defense through public statements, and Mac users themselves. Some users like it, and swear up and down they are real people. Others are extremely angry and hate the product with the passion of 1,000 burning suns. All I can do is tell you my experience and make the following statement:

The bottom line is that I would not install MacKeeper/buy MacKeeper on my Mac. After investigating my own system's problems (which made iit nearly unusable) and concluding that MacKeeper might be the issue, I uninstalled it. Magically, all my issues went away. So...I report, you decide. Best of luck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.