Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printers in Profile Manager

I recently updated some printers in my iMac which has server.app on it. Im using Profile Manager service to give users access to printers.

We changed the naming convention for our printers. When you change a printer in System Preferences>Printer this change doesnt show when in Profile Manager and trying to add printers to users/devices.

How can I refresh the printers in Profile Manager to display changes. Also old printers are still showing in Profile Manager even though I have deleted them from System Preferences> Printing.

Thanks

Ilir

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 5:27 AM

1 reply

Mar 29, 2014 1:27 PM in response to ilirian

I posted this elsewhere since it is been a problem since Lion. There is a script that is supposed to update the list when you delete them, but it still hasn't been fixed even in 3.1.1. I reported it months ago by esclating up to Apple's enterprise service desk. I suggest you all do the same as we should have to do this outside the GUI. Here's a modified version of what I posted in the old Lion thread and only applies to 10.9.2/Server 3.1.1.

--

Alright, so I had 4 hours to kill on a saturday afternoon to figure out what should be possible in under 30 seconds with a few mouse clicks. If you're reading sarcasm with a dash of annoyance in there, good. Mission accomplished.

Firstly, delete the printer(s) you no longer want the normal way via System Preferences.

To get into the database via the Termainal:

sudo psql -U _devicemgr -d devicemgr_v2m0 -h /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/var/PostgreSQL

Once in list your printers with:

select * from printers;

Delete the one(s) you don't want with:

delete from printers where id=[put the ID# of the printer you want deleted here];

\q to exit when done.

Like I said, a couple hours this afternoon, I'll be testing it further to see if it breaks something else. 😝 When I went back to Profile Manager and chose to add one to a profile, sure enough the ones I no longer wanted were gone.

Love to know if this helps someone!

-Steve

Printers in Profile Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.