Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing music from external hard drive- getting Itunes to recognize

For var reasons I deleted all my itunes music.

I have been copying my own cd's onto an external hardrive.

When I insert the cd into mac, itunes recognizes the Lp's etc and then names the files for me.

I then switch off itunes and have then stored the (named) files onto external devices.

I now want to consolidate all my music back onto itunes, but when I go to add files,

it wont recognize the artist/album name/other fields.. only the song name...

I cant find anywhere on the latest itunes to "access gracenote" -like it did before when I used it?

I understand this may be to do with not having the itunes file any more ?

Anyone any ideas how I could import all my music into itunes (which has nothing in it-completely re-installed) again without

having to type in all the fields again?

Thanks!

G5 Dual 2.3, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2GB SDRAM

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 5:23 AM

27 replies

Aug 5, 2013 6:21 AM in response to léonie

You should not need to enter any information. From the Gracenote website: "With the ability to dive deep into the “audio fingerprint” of a song, Gracenote Scan and Match can discern subtle differences between radio edits and special remixes. This lets people unlock the correct albums and tracks in popular music services and sync their collections across their devices, without requiring time-draining uploads."

Aug 5, 2013 9:44 AM in response to ehanks

Thats what I thought as gracenote got all the info easy enough upon enetering the cd's for first time...

But I cant seem to find where the gracenot access is now (it used to be there in previous versions of itunes)..

And the "get album artwork" doesn't work either..(It doesnt come up "get track names" on my itunes ?)

thanks

Aug 5, 2013 10:06 AM in response to cg-uk

cg-uk wrote:

For var reasons I deleted all my itunes music.

I have been copying my own cd's onto an external hardrive.

When I insert the cd into mac, itunes recognizes the Lp's etc and then names the files for me.

What format are you importing these CDs?

If they are WAV (which does not have tags), the only things saved is the track name (which is the filename).

If they are WAV, iTunes stores the info in the iTunes library database file.

Aug 5, 2013 10:49 AM in response to léonie

This is what I get....

iTunes cannot get CD track names for songs that were not imported using iTunes.

To allow iTunes to look for CD track names for this song, import the song again using iTunes.

looks like Im stumped then !

Shame as you could do this before via the gracenote option.

Pity its gone now.

Aug 5, 2013 10:59 AM in response to cg-uk

cg-uk wrote:

This is what I get....

iTunes cannot get CD track names for songs that were not imported using iTunes.

To allow iTunes to look for CD track names for this song, import the song again using iTunes.

looks like Im stumped then !

Shame as you could do this before via the gracenote option.

Pity its gone now.

Your first post was confusing on exactly what you did...

You imported the CD using iTunes, then saved the files eslewhere and deleted them from iTunes?

Aug 5, 2013 11:52 AM in response to cg-uk

So, you obviously imported the music with another application. Two options:

1. http://thelittleappfactory.com/tagalicious/

2. http://www.tuneupmedia.com

Going forward:

- If you want your iTunes Media folder to be in a different place, go to Preferences in iTunes and then Advanced and change the location to be on your external hard drive.

- If you want your iTunes Media folder to be on an internal hard drive, but keep some music on your external, make sure that when you re-import the music aftrer you've tagged it, you do not have the option checked to copy to iTunes Media folder.

Importing music from external hard drive- getting Itunes to recognize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.