Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am interested in downloading Apache Open Office 4 on to my OS X Mountain Lion which maybe can happen by changing security options in System Preferences. Has anyone had experience with this free software?

I am interested in downloading free software called Apache Open Office which may be done by changing my security , system preferences.

Has anyone one used their version 4 on Mountain Lion?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 8:57 AM

Yes, though it might not be the best example of such free "office" type programs it works just fine on Mountain Lion. It's OK to download and install and if you don't like it, it's just as easy to uninstall.

You are wise to ask about this before installing something you're not familar with.

8 replies

Aug 17, 2013 2:52 PM in response to crankybroad

I've just installed it on my iMac (also Mt. Lion) but it didn't keep my settings from OpenOffice.org version 3.

By mucking around in the Library, I think I've at least gotten it to use my templates.

There's a user discussion list, and I asked there about this, but so far have not heard back yet.

I've been using Open Office for years, and am quite happy with it; I also have MS office but that's bloated and cumbersome.

Pages (for $10 from the app store) is another interesting alternative for a word processor.

HTH

I am interested in downloading Apache Open Office 4 on to my OS X Mountain Lion which maybe can happen by changing security options in System Preferences. Has anyone had experience with this free software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.