Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Siri to stop reading my texts outloud as I type

Can anyone tell me how to stop Siri from reading my text messages out loud as I type them

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2017 12:22 PM

Hi my name is Olivia Kamlet. I was suffering your problem and I figured it out! You need to go to Settings>Accessibility>Speech> and then turn off anything which is on there. This will stop Siri from restating everything that you are typing. You're welcome!

26 replies

Aug 5, 2013 8:28 AM in response to lori287

It appears as though Voice Over may be turned on.

If VoiceOver is on and you want to turn it off from the device instead of from iTunes, remember that a double-tap acts like a single tap and you need to use three fingers to scroll when VoiceOver is on:

Press Home.

Tap Settings. Then double-tap Settings.

Tap General. Then double-tap General.

Use three fingers on the screen to scroll to Accessibility.

Tap Accessibility. Then double-tap Accessibility.

Tap VoiceOver. Then double-tap VoiceOver.

Tap "On" next to VoiceOver. Then double-tap "On" to turn it off.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4064

Dec 17, 2016 3:50 AM in response to lori287

For me, I was always embarrassed about auto correct that made my intentions wrong, so I only had that option enabled.

settings > general > accessibility > typing feedback > speak auto-text

its a great idea in theory, but I do a lot of texting late at night, and it can be jarring to suddenly have Siri say a word randomly. If she said it once it wouldn't be so bad, but I find she says it five or six times, so I've now turned it off. I'll risk the auto correct for a while and see what happens. Might have to turn it back on ...

anyhow, that could be a route, as there are a few options under typing feedback.

How do I get Siri to stop reading my texts outloud as I type

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.