Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading from 10.8.4 Mountain Lion to 10.6.3 or 10.6.8 MBP Late 2011

Hey folks,

thinking about going back to SnowKitty. (I miss it. A lot.). Currently I have Mountain Lion, 10.8.4.

I currently have a 10.6.3 retail disc, and when I try to boot from the disc, I get the dreaded Three Beeps of Death.
(Tapping Option during Boot, then selecting the disc, or holding C both result in the Beeps).

I have heard that I MUST have the Gray Discs (Recovery Discs) to truly go back to Snow Leopard from my current ML version of 10.8.4.

However, a Tier 1 Apple Tech Support guy just told me (on an official call) that if I

- Go into disc utility in ML

- Erase my main HDD

- Pop in my Snow Leopard Disc

- Boot

that I will be able to install it without any problems.

I kind of wondered about this solution before he told me about it... my obvious fear is that in so doing this, I will again go to boot into

the 10.6.3 disc and get the Three Beeps of Death--but now my HDD will be erased and I will be totally hosed.

Thoughts on this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Downgrading from 10.8.4

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 12:23 PM

18 replies

Aug 5, 2013 12:29 PM in response to rogueguineapig

However, a Tier 1 Apple Tech Support guy just told me (on an official call) that if I

- Go into disc utility in ML

- Erase my main HDD

- Pop in my Snow Leopard Disc

- Boot

You use the DVD that originally came w/your computer, DVD#1. To reinstall the OS, you use DVD#2.

Clicky click--—> Erasing disks securely

================

Start up from your install disc, go to Disk Utility and select the disk and click erase - to securely erase data click Security Options and Erase Free Space which will entirely wipe your disk, overwriting it with zeros so that no data is recoverable.

See KB Article: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10727 OS X Mountain Lion: Restore your computer’s software

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11273 OS X Mountain Lion: Erase and reinstall OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH6817 Mac OS X 10.6: Restoring your computer’s software

User uploaded file

Aug 5, 2013 12:31 PM in response to rogueguineapig

Late 2011 MBPs came with Lion pre-installed. Basically, you cannot install Snow Leopard on that model. Furthermore, three beeps at startup means you have bad memory, not the wrong installer disc. Whoever advised you on the telephone gave you bogus information.

Even if you could boot the computer from a version of Snow Leopard, it would be foolish to erase the drive. It would make more sense to create a new partition on the hard drive on which to install Snow Leopard. In this way you have both operating systems running in a dual-boot arrangement.

I would leave well enough alone.

Aug 5, 2013 12:38 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Hey Baby Boomer,

I don't have my Gray Restore Discs/DVDs handy at the moment (trying to find the **** things),

and the Snow Leopard disc that I DO have is the retail 10.6.3 disc.

So what I'm asking is: if I erase my HDD through Mountain Lion Disc utility, will that retail disc work to install
10.6.3 Snow Leopard, or will it refuse to boot, leaving me with an empty hard drive and no OS?

EDIT: I might add, my MBP Came with Snow Leopard...it did not come with Lion originally.
I think it was probably one of the VERY last ones with Snow... I remember the Lion release coming out like a week after I got this thing.

Aug 5, 2013 12:44 PM in response to Niel

Niel wrote:

rogueguineapig: If you can't find the gray disks, use an older Mac to install 10.6.3 onto an external drive and then run the 10.6.8 combo updater on that system. This will give a definitive answer on whether or not it's possible without them.

Kappy: Numerous threads on these boards have mentioned this.

(86691)

Niel, do I need a completely clean external drive to do this? Is it possible to use a USB drive to do that?

After it's installed on that external drive, and then booted into, and updated to 10.6.8,

then what? What's the MO for moving it over?

and by the way, thank you all for the advice and answers!

Aug 5, 2013 12:44 PM in response to rogueguineapig

Regardless, you cannot boot your model from a retail Snow Leopard DVD. You did not get any gray labeled discs with your computer because it came with Lion pre-installed. You cannot install Snow Leopard on that model as much as you would like to (unless you have a different, earlier model that did come with Snow Leopard from the factory - Early 2011 or earlier.)

Downgrading from 10.8.4 Mountain Lion to 10.6.3 or 10.6.8 MBP Late 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.