Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nearly all of my AppleTV apps have disappeared!?

We were trying to rent a movie using AppleTV, we just recently bought it, an error popped up then disappeared and said we needed to turn homesharing on or something.
Then another messaged popped up and said we can't rent the movie because we are in Iceland (boo...)
Then we pressed menu and all the apps had disappeared! The only ones left are MBL and Crunchyroll. We checked homesharing and it is on. We turned it off then back on, nothing happened.

We've reset the AppleTV, that didn't work. and are now currently restoring it.

Can someone please help me 😟?

AppleTV 2, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 9:07 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

See what happens after you restore it, if it's still not right, try restarting your router.

4 replies

Nov 28, 2016 9:53 AM in response to FluffynpinK

Basically it is because these coders are LAZY. That's what it comes down to.

Here is the short:

Icons appearing/removing are due to a failure to connect to apple's site. The problem is many factors can be the cause.

This will BREAK home sharing and BREAK Airplay, but it will FIX the issue you have with icons dropping off.

Go into GENERAL>NETWORK>DNS> Set to MANUAL, then set the IP address to 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS server)

If this fixes the problem you need to contact your ISP and tell them to get their act together and scavenge their DNS host entries. (MANY ISPs are guilty of this lazy lack of practice)

Why apple and netflix and whomever feel the need to constantly juggle their public IP addresses is beyond me.

Frankly if I worked there as their network admin I would simply set up a VIP/BGP or some form of IP Pool.

Then I'd have a permanently fixed public IP for the life of the company. Then BEHIND it I could shuffle IP addresses all I want. To further the reliability, I would simply BYPASS DNS and have hard coded that permanent IP address. Remember you can always back that out via an update if need be..... STUPID people working for these organizations..

(And yes I know SOME items require DNS... for those, they are on their own risk wise but would still work given that wouldn't be IP hardcoded anyhow)

Anyhow hope this helps. If it DOES fix the problem, post it here.

The next step is a bit more complicated so you can have multiple DNS servers in your IP stack on the AppleTV.

If you have a router and it is handing out DHCP then you can simply add the 8.8.8.8 entry FIRST and then the router or whatever is handling out your private LAN's DNS resolutions.

How I am setup:

1 Domain controller - 2K8R2

-DNS

-DHCP

-WINS

2 Cisco 2950 switches for the devices hard wired in my home

1 Linksys AC1900S Router

1 Motorola MB7440 Cable Modem

===================================================================

So the router is NOT handling any of the logical layer traffic. It is merely routing.

The domain controller/server is doing all of the work. This way I can input manual A record entries (no need anymore to modify hosts files on PCs, etc) and all DNS queries go through my DC. In addition, on my DC I have a "Forwarding DNS request host" which I simply put 4.4.2.2. and 8.8.8.8.

So that's the best way but a lot more work.

The other option is to simply use your router for everything, DNS, DHCP, etc. and then in the DHCP settings of your router you put in 8.8.8.8 and then your local host (if router than the router IP itself, if server, the server IP) for gateway queries.

This should cut down on the times you experience this problem. I have not quite pinned down the cause of my icons STILL dropping off at random but I know for a fact the netflix app is the cause. It only happens when I use that app and basically what happens is the unit suddenly powers off during playback and when it boots up, the icons are gone.

So the first thing I told you to try is a trick to force connection. Go to manual DNS, change to 8.8.8.8 then you get your icons back, change the DNS back to automatic and restart the AppleTV. Should be fine after that.

BTW if you have a router with ACL/Firewall settings PUT YOUR APPLETV IN THE DMZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nearly all of my AppleTV apps have disappeared!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.