Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about hooking up an external display to MBP 13" early 2011

So I recently got an external display, the 24" Dell S2440L. I have it hooked up to my laptop via an HDMI cable. (So there is a MIni Displayport to HDMI) adapter. I run my MBP in clamshell mode (I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse) and it all works perfectly. Except the occasional flash on the monitor.

It doesn't happen too frequently, but enough that I notice it. The reviews online for the display are excellent, and I absolutely love it. The flashing is just a brief "blink" I suppose in the display. No other issue besides this. I was curious to know if anyone else has this issue with their display. I assume it's got something to do with the cable or computer port, not the actual display. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is in the wrong subforum.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 10:56 AM

No answer here on the blinking, but a suggestion: If you have a DVI-D port on the monitor, try the Apple Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI-D adapter. My MBP on an HDMI cable with the HMDI-to-Mini DisplayPort adapter produced a coarser (lower res) image on the monitor; on DVI-D the view on the monitor was every bit as good as on the 15" MBP (non-retina). I'm wondering whether the blinking is due to some form of loss of sync resulting from forcing the image through the HDMI route; a DVI-D adapter (assuming your monitor has a DVI-D input!) could be used to test the theory.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2013 10:56 AM in response to Neil D

No answer here on the blinking, but a suggestion: If you have a DVI-D port on the monitor, try the Apple Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI-D adapter. My MBP on an HDMI cable with the HMDI-to-Mini DisplayPort adapter produced a coarser (lower res) image on the monitor; on DVI-D the view on the monitor was every bit as good as on the 15" MBP (non-retina). I'm wondering whether the blinking is due to some form of loss of sync resulting from forcing the image through the HDMI route; a DVI-D adapter (assuming your monitor has a DVI-D input!) could be used to test the theory.

Questions about hooking up an external display to MBP 13" early 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.