Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My shift key on the right side does not work. How do I know if it is the keyboard or a computer setting

I need a solution this issue. My shift key will not work on the right hand side of keyboard. No other issues, just shift key. I can get a new keyboard but want to make sure it is the keyboard and not a incorrect setting? It is the wireless aluminum keyboard.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), software that came with computer

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 11:55 AM

5 replies

Aug 5, 2013 12:08 PM in response to kmg09

If you need a solution, take the keyboard to your local Apple Store or an AASP. Especially, if you have AppleCare or are still under warranty.

If you have a can of compressed air use it or a brushed vacuum hose. In case there is dirt trapped under the key. See KB Article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226

For DIY (out of warranty solutions) go to the iFixit website & YouTube's "How To" tutorials.

User uploaded file

Aug 5, 2013 2:15 PM in response to kmg09

You can use the Keyboard Viewer, a simple utility that is part of OS X for quite awhile.

You can read instructions for turning on the keyboard viewer here"

http://macs.about.com/b/2008/09/25/reader-question-inserting-special-characters. htm

Although that article is about using the

Character Viewer, it will get the Keyboard Viewer setup for you. Once it is installed in your menu, simply select the Keyboard Viewer and then press the shift key on your keyboard. If the key is highlighted, your keyboard is working correctly.

Tom

My shift key on the right side does not work. How do I know if it is the keyboard or a computer setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.