Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I restore Apple TV without remote?

Hi everyone,

I don't have my Apple TV anymore and I manually changed the DNS on my Apple TV (3rd Gen) with the Apple Remote App. When I restarted Apple TV, it now just says setting date and time and won't recognise the remote App.

Is there anyway to restore it without the remote so I can get past the setting Date and Time screen and use my beloved ATV again?

Would really appreciate some advice...

Thanks so much for reading

Frank

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 5:39 PM

You should always use your ISPs DNS to avoid problems, it seems to be having trouble connecting to the network after you made the change.

You will have to grab a micro usb cable and restore via iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

5 replies

Mar 16, 2014 5:31 PM in response to franco265

I would try pluging in your Apple tv via micro usb into your computer and see if you can do a restore to factory settings, or update to new software ect. then when you turn on your apple tv it will ask you to turn on any "blue tooth keyboards now" if you have a bluetooth keyboard then that should connect and use the arrow buttons and return key and esc as a remote. I have not checked but maybe there is an app that acts as a bluetooth keyboard in your ios device.

Mar 19, 2014 1:35 AM in response to vazandrew

Yeah I Know, I ran into this problem of trying to get past the date screen of my recently restored apple tv without a remote last week. Because somebody assured me in one of these forums that I could use the iphone remote app if I connected My apple tv via ethernet cable to my wifi modem. My longest ethernet cable required me to set up my television in my kitchen sink area ( too much information I know). Then I discovered that I still could not get past the date screen with no remote, so there was no way I could teach my newly restored apple tv a new remote or type in my wifi password for it to recognise my iphone remote app.

Then i saw the flashing message giving me the cue to connect a bluetooth keyboard now. problem fixed I can take my tv out of the kitchen sink because my ten dollar bluetooth keyboard had arrow buttons.

FYI this forum is a place I come when I have a problem so now that I found a solution to a relevant part of a question "restore without a remote" I thought Id share what worked for me, you know so people dont set up there tv in they're kitchen sink. This is one of the first links I clicked searching for help. No one answered the question about the remote. I am new to this forum but thought "you know if I had found this information when I clicked on that first link I would not have to dissconnect my entire entertainment system and put it close to a tap in order to fix it ( because I have an irrational fear of putting electronics near water)." My logic is that I was being considerate to others.

Also note my stupidity for not reading the flashing bluetooth keyboard cue before disconnecting my tv and for washing my cool apple tv remote in the washing maschine, perhaps causing an irrational fear of putting electronics near water.

How can I restore Apple TV without remote?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.