Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem using iPod Touch with Prius USB connection

I have a new iPod Touch, 5th generation, which I bought for use in my 2013 Prius. When I first connected the iPod to the Prius using the USB cable that shipped with the iPod, everything worked great. The iPod played through the USB cable through the speakers in the car, and it all worked fine. Then, one day, the iPod stopped playing through the USB cable and instead started playing through it's tiny internal speaker. Completely useless in a moving car. The console still shows the track that's playing and can be used to select other tracks, but the sound only comes from the internal speaker. The only way to fix it is to reset all settings, and that only works until it decides to play through its internal speaker again. I can't find any reference to someone else having this problem, but that may well be a limitation in Google (or my not having sufficient expertise using it). Does anybody have any suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem?

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3, 32gb

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 5:13 PM

7 replies

Aug 6, 2013 12:18 PM in response to lllaass

Tried another cable. No change.

I noticed a message "The accessory 'Toyota' requires an app that has not been installed." I don't have wifi in my car and so can't connect to iTunes in my car to download the app. Does anyone have any knowledge about what this app might be and where it is in iTunes? I searched iTunes and only found a Toyota app for getting the latest news about their products. The app description mentioned nothing about connecting the car's sound system via USB.

Aug 19, 2013 1:13 PM in response to sashibashi

Unless you updated the firware o the car system since it worked with the 5G iPod,

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: How to back up

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Aug 19, 2013 2:17 PM in response to lllaass

I tried the "reset all settings' approach. The iPod became addicted to it. It got so bad that EVERY time I wanted to use the iPod I had to reset all settings, which meant that which track I was listening to was lost and it would start up on the first track in my collection, meaning that it then took several minutes just to resume listening. The iPod is an unreliable piece of crap, incompatible with the Prius audio system. I solved the problem by replacing it with a 32mb thumb drive with all the same tracks on it. Now the Prius is happy and I can listen without the Prius losing track of where I was each time I restart the car.

My recommendation is to just use the iPod for listening elsewhere and get a thumb drive for the car. It's way cheaper and works PERFECTLY.

Problem using iPod Touch with Prius USB connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.