Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing MacBook Pro on My Network with Dead Video Card

My MacBook Pro video card went bad, so I've been using Mocha VNC on my iPad to use it. When trying to get screen sharing to work with another computer, I changed the screen sharing "Computer settings…" from "VNC users can control the screen with this password" to "Anyone may request permission to control the screen." I thought this would allow me to access without a password, but as soon as I did this, existing connection closed and I can't get back in. VNC tells me that that this security type is not supported and that I need to specify a password. When I try to login with User and Password of the machine specified and no VNC password, it tells me I have the wrong password, even though I know it is correct. Terminal ssh and telnet connections are refused.

I have a time machine backup, but when I use another computer to browse it, it thinks I want to restore files to it and I can't find the preferences for that user.

Is there another way to get into the computer? I can see it on my network and have the admin user and password. I can also access it via Target Disk Mode.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 6:32 PM

9 replies

Aug 6, 2013 1:10 AM in response to CarlosDanger

but when I use another computer to browse it, it thinks I want to restore files

If the other computer is a Mac, you can access the MacBrook Pro via Target Disk Mode and set it as the Startup Drive.

You've provided no information about your immediate plans. Are you going to repair the MacBook Pro or are you going to scrap it? If the latter, you can remove the HD and buy an enclosure for it.

Aug 6, 2013 1:31 PM in response to Lanny

I can start up my Macbook Pro from the current system fine, but can't see the display because the video card is dead. I can see the hard drive in target disk mode on my second Mac, but don't know how I'd access the system settings in that mode. I might trash the system preferences, but I think the default has screen sharing off.

Immediately I'd like to reset the preferences and be able to use it with VNC before it screwed up the settings. My intermediate plans would be to migrate the most of my data to another mac and use it as a file server.

Aug 22, 2013 9:38 AM in response to CarlosDanger

I am in the same situation. Macbook Pro graphics card is kaput and Apple says they can't fix it because it's 'vintage'. We'll probably end up replacing it because I'm sure the repair cost is going to be outrageous if I can even find anyone to repair it. I'd like to access the hard drive from my iMac to retrieve some files. The Macbook Pro is my husband's and we've been backing it up using Time Machine. Apparently, he wasn't paying attention because the backups only go to 6/28/13 so he's short about 2 months of data. Is there anyplace I can find step by step instructions for connecting the MBP to my iMac to retrieve the data? I'm a newbie at doing anything like that and I sure don't want to make matters worse. Thanks, in advance.

Aug 6, 2015 1:03 PM in response to luannefromsuffolk

I'm in worse straits. My MacBook Pro video is dead, and I'm now retired, so I couldn't afford to buy a new Apple laptop (got a Dell pc for under $500). So much data, including photos and documents, are now unavailable. What can I do? Migration Assistant won't work Mac-PC, and the Dell doesn't even recognize the Mac when it's attached via a data transfer cable (male USB-male USB). Please share any tips you might have for me. Thanks.

Aug 6, 2015 1:36 PM in response to mcamp6

mcamp6 wrote:

I'm in worse straits. My MacBook Pro video is dead, and I'm now retired, so I couldn't afford to buy a new Apple laptop (got a Dell pc for under $500). So much data, including photos and documents, are now unavailable. What can I do? Migration Assistant won't work Mac-PC, and the Dell doesn't even recognize the Mac when it's attached via a data transfer cable (male USB-male USB). Please share any tips you might have for me. Thanks.

Just had the video card on my 2008 Mac Pro desk-top refurbished -- local independent tech basically re-soldered it and checked the flow.

Look for someone who who repairs and recycles -- they may be able to either repair the macbook or hook you up with a refurbished board.

Or - be able to extract the information off you drive and put in on the dell.

Accessing MacBook Pro on My Network with Dead Video Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.