Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why I can't access recovery mode?

I have OSX 10.8.4. I'm trying to boot in recovery mode while pressing cmd+R and it doesn't work. If I boot while pressing Option to get the startup disk, I only get the system on my hard drive. Should the recovery mode be there as well? Does anyone knows why I can't access recovery mode?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 7:47 PM

14 replies

Aug 5, 2013 7:56 PM in response to Lehou

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

{ diskutil list; echo; diskutil cs list; } | open -f -a TextEdit

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V).

A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. If the command produced no output, the window will be empty. Post the contents of the TextEdit window (not the Terminal window), if any — the text, please, not a screenshot. The title of the window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that.

Aug 6, 2013 4:45 AM in response to Linc Davis

What do you want to verify with this?

Here's the text

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 999.3 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS 10.8 499.2 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

Aug 6, 2013 6:41 AM in response to Lehou

As Barney said, "If you reinstall, it will install the Recovery HD if possible. You will have to download the installer from the App Store, then run it to install."

EDIT: Wait! You do have a Recovery partition on disk1. Look at the output you posted. If that's a connected drive it should show up in opt-boot.

Aug 7, 2013 2:43 AM in response to Lehou

I do have the OSX installer. I've tried already and I can't install it. "It says an error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again". It happens when the installer wants to reboot to lauch the installation. I've also tried to install the system on my external hard drive and it doesn't work neither. The same problem occurs.

The next thing I will try is to install a system on an external hard drive on a friend's computer and then reinstall the system from this drive by booting with it. I'm getting in lack of solution.

Feb 5, 2014 5:49 AM in response to Lehou

I know im a half year behind on this post, but I'm in the same situation. Sometimes your firmware will be acting up, so they tell u to install using an OS X Installer or to use internet recovery, but if internet recovery or other apple start commands dont work then you start your computer, then you definitely have a firmware issue. I've ran into this problem before and had the Genuis bar help me out. I can't remember exactly 100%, but I remember the tech told me he needed to reset the PRAMS or something like that. It was the equivilent of resetting the CMOS for PC as he explained. For the 2009 models and younger, at least for the macbook i brought in, you have to take out 1 ram card, leaving just 1 card in the computer and then press the command+option+P+R keys when the computer starts up. They did this for me and it worked to where I got my apple startup commands back and could then install the OS X on my laptop. They explained that it doesnt work on the newer models and if you want to do this, you have to drop the mac off to them and they will have to get a special code from Apple to reset it factory condition. I'll post you guys when I take this newer model imac to the store and what i find out

Aug 26, 2015 2:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

Macbook stuck at half progressions when tried to boot as Recovery or OS X Utility

I used to installed Windows 7 via bootcamp but removed it recently.

Now, I need to reinstall OS X Yosemite again since i'm letting go my mac.

I have formatted it before for 2 times using the OS X Utility by holding cmd + r when restarting.

It worked perfectly that time.

But it seems like something went wrong when I tried using the same method again now.

I hold pressed cmd + r exactly after the chime but it will stuck at half progression every time.

I even left it like that for 24 hours and came back with the same result.

Also, Ive tried holding opt button when rebooting and the partitions of macHD and Recovery are there but when i clicked Recovery, same thing happen.

So every time it happens, I will shut down by pressing the power button, and start it in again.

I can log on normally to my computer.

This problem occur only when i tried to use os x utility or recovery only.

Are this because of having windows 7 before?

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Why I can't access recovery mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.