Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move iTunes library to external hard drive, to use on new computer with new iPad

I am about to purchase an iPad, I have my iTunes library on a G5 Power Mac, I want to move my iTunes library to an external Firewire hard drive, when I do so I want to keep my iTunes library in tact, I want to keep playlists, podcast subscriptions, etc.

I have also recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, I want to use my old iTunes library on my new MacBook Pro, I want this to be my iTunes Library. I also want my iTunes library to be used with my new iPad.

Please help me set up my iTunes library on my new MacBook Pro, so I can connect my new iPad 4th Gen, and live happily ever after.

As always thanks in advance,

Sebastian

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), iOS 6.1.4, iPad 64gb 4th Generation

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 7:53 PM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2013 9:25 PM in response to SebastianMacLuver

I have my iTunes library on a G5 Power Mac, I want to move my iTunes library to an external Firewire hard drive, when I do so I want to keep my iTunes library in tact, I want to keep playlists, podcast subscriptions, etc.

Simply copy the entire /Music/iTUnes/ folder to the external drive.

Connect the external to your new Mac.

Hold Option, launch iTunes, select Choose library... and select the iTunes folder on the external.

Everythong will work fine.

Make sure the external is attached and ready before you launch iTunes.

You can then delete /Music/iTunes/ folder on the G5.

Then you can run Migration Assistant on the MacBook to get your user folders to the new computer

Move iTunes library to external hard drive, to use on new computer with new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.