Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to my login page after display sleep?

I'm not sure what happened but whenever my display goes to sleep and I click the trackpad to turn it back on, a dialog box shows up asking for my password. Prior to two days ago, when I woke the display the login screen would pop up with my user icon (just like the initial login screen, but without Guest), but now it's just the dialog box with a black screen. Anyone have any idea how this happened, or how to get it back to the way it was? I'm running OSX 10.8.4.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 7:13 PM

16 replies

Aug 5, 2013 7:35 PM in response to nbar

I'm not sure that's the case. I can enter my password (same one I use to log in, or install things, etc) and get back to whatever I was doing, it's just that the screen is different, and I really haven't done anything different to the machine except add some DoD certificates in my keychain. I didn't delete anything in keychain access and, honestly, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my issue. I just liked having the login screen-esque password prompt I used to have. The black screen/dialog box prompt is not as nice to look at.

Aug 12, 2013 5:53 PM in response to nbar

I had seen that post, but that's not what's happening to me. I do have the black screen, but no "wiping" with cursor movement to show the standard login screen. Instead, I just get a dialog box that says "You must enter a password to unlock the screen. Type the password to unlock." I type my password like I would at any other time, and resume normal operation. Having the dialog box doesn't prevent me from doing anything or otherwise disrupt using the laptop, it is simply different from what it used to be, and I can't figure out why.

I've also been able to boot into safe mode with no trouble, but a sleeping display still wakes the same way.

Aug 12, 2013 6:19 PM in response to StrobesAU

Okay. I am still convinced a firmware password. Safe mode wouldn't be a surefire test of this, I was wrong...this would be a test for open firmware password (applicable to machine up to 2010), not EFI password (2011 +). Try Booting into Recovery Mode (command + R) or hold down option at start and select the recovery partition. Are you prompted for a password? If so, there is a fimrware password set and only Apple would be able to unlock your machine. If not, I am out of suggestions. Please test and reply. Thanks.

Firmware Password Protection on Your Mac | Macinstruct

EFI firmware protection locks down newer Macs | MacFixIt - CNET ...

Feb 7, 2016 1:27 AM in response to StrobesAU

I recently met this problem, and I finally managed to get it "repaired". Here's the problem and the solution

I met the problem after I installed "smart card services". I reviewed the installation process, and found an option entitled "cacloginconfig" . Here is the description:

This 'default' Property List file (CACLoginConfig.plist) is used by both the "Attribute Matching" and "PKINIT (SSO)" scenarios for Smart Card Services setup.

This file is necessary if you are binding your Smart Card to either: (A) a Local OS X Account (Attribute Matching) (B) Active Directory with Smart Card Login for SSO (PKINIT)

The existence of this file will switch OS X from using the built-in default "PubKeyHash" method to mapping Attribute(s) instead. If this file is deleted or missing on the OS X system, it will revert back to the "PubKeyHash" method for binding a Smart Card to a particular account. the command "sc_auth" is provided on OS X for managing the PubKeyHash usage for accounts.

The contents of this file will configure the desired mapping of supported certificate attribute(s) to a single DS attribute lookup (i.e. Mapping the "NT Principal Name" from the Certificate to the single AD attribute "userPrincipalName"). This is a default property list file that should be modified if required by your DS setup.

The attribute(s) are drawn from your Smart Card based certificate containing "Smartcard Logon ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.20.2.2 )" for "Extended Key Usage ( 2.5.29.37 )".

I looked into this bundle, and learned that a plist file named "cacloginconfig.plist" was installed to /etc due to this option. Finally, I executed

sudomv/etc/cacloginconfig.plist/etc/cacloginconfig.plist.bak

and everything went back as normal.

Hope the solution can help you.

Sep 11, 2016 3:52 AM in response to shankerwangmiao

I remember once to have a smart card service installed as well. And even though I removed it, since then I get a login window like you used to have. Still, I can't fix it trying your approach (there is no

cacloginconfig.plist

in /etc) 😟 Is there another location where I could have a look to delete this file? I already tried a spotlight search with no success.

What happened to my login page after display sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.