Currently Being ModeratedAug 6, 2013 2:15 AM (in response to Drather Knott)
After much monkeying around, I got this solved. For now. We'll see if it stays solved tomorrow. I'm not going to exit clamshell mode until absolutely necessary in case it's such a pain next time. I notice lots of my mac brothers and sisters had similar problems, so I'll note how I got it to work in case it helps anyone else. Or to remind myself in case I forget.
Basically I solved the problem thusly:
1. Set everything up for using the external display
2. Set the external display as the main monitor in the "arrangement" tab in sys pref (if you don't have mirroring turned off, you'll have to do that first)
3. Have only the resolution selection window open on the external display
4. Cleverly hover the mouse over a display resolution that you know works, then lift it from the desktop to keep it there
5. Close the laptop -- the external display goes blue, then claims to not know how display the format from the MBA
6. Click with the mouse on where you know the functioning resolution is. Hit enter to apply the new resolution (blindly).
7. Click a few more times, randomly, for good measure.
8. When the external screen comes back to life and clamshell mode is working again, stop drinking to drown sorrows, and start drinking to celebrate!
Currently Being ModeratedJan 27, 2014 1:51 PM (in response to Drather Knott)
I didn't give it enough time to work at first, I ended up searching for like another hour on other forums, and came back to this. It works, you just have to wait for a couple seconds after you choose the resolution for the screen to respond, don't me impatient!
Thank You So Much!!!!!!
Tons of people have the same problem and I hope they all ended up here too.
(Another forum said paid apple support didn't know how to solve this.)