Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

weird permissions issue

If this is the wrong discussion group, please direct me to the correct one.

Mac Mini (mid-2011?), Mountain Lion 10.8.4, new permissions issue

As of last week, out of the blue, dozens of my files began to have permission errors. These apply to current documents that are being worked on periodically (I’m writing a book) as well as documents I haven’t looked at in months but now being referred to, as well as documents being downloaded from the Internet, such as images, etc. All of these items are giving me a message that they cannot be auto saved because I don’t have permission to do so. Also, they cannot be saved manually again because I don’t have permissions.

Now here’s the real issue. Upon accessing the properties box, get info, I noticed there is another item listed in “Sharing and Permissions “. To wit:

It tells me I now have custom access.

Below, in the list there are four entries where there have been three as long as I can remember, namely, me, staff, and everyone. The new fourth entry is another or a second “everyone”.

This second “everyone” has something called custom.

The fix is changing this custom item back to a read and write item.

Where did this come from? And why do I have to be bothered with changing this permission that never existed before?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), permissions

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 7:16 AM

15 replies

Aug 6, 2013 7:20 AM in response to jglaiche

-boot to the recovery partition by holding down command+R on startup.

-at the top of the screen click on the work "utilities"

-click on termial from the drop down menu

-in the terminal window type resetpassword all lower case letters and all together like i typed it

-this opens the reset password window

-under volume select mac HD

-under user select your name

-do not type anything in the password fields as you are not resetting the password

-then at the bottom of the window click on the reset button, this will reset the home folder and ACL permissions on the user acct and should resolve any permissions errors or issues you're having. it works better than trying to verify and repair the permissions

hope this helps the issues!

Aug 6, 2013 10:24 AM in response to iheartapple1970

Sorry, but thanks, iheart. This process did not help at all. All the docs I checked still have that custom access item on here. See screen shot:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Let me say here that I am a retired Mac network administrator. While I usually try to stay out of my system, I do not check these things very often. I have no idea what custom access is or why they are two everyone's in the name column. The bottom line is I keep getting error messages that I do not have access to folders I do not have access to documents I am unable to move documents or folders I am unable to save documents or folders. I believe I've isolated the problem to this custom access stuff. Does anyone know what it means and why it's there.?

Aug 6, 2013 10:35 AM in response to jglaiche

You are an admin user, correct? Copy and paste the following bolded command (courtesy Linc Davis) into Terminal. This will unlock all your user files, set them to standard ownership, and change ACLs back to default. Let it run, it will take a few minutes.

sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R $UID:staff ~ $_ ; sudo chmod -R u+rwX ~ $_ ; chmod -R -N ~ $_ ; 2> /dev/null

Aug 6, 2013 1:30 PM in response to iheartapple1970

OK, that's sounds logical. The problem is that I don't remember ever giving anybody anything customized as far as sharing and permissions. I never had any reason to do such a thing. Be that as it may, this issue only surfaced within the last couple of weeks. And I will swear on a stack of Bibles, Korans, and Bhagavad-Gitas that I never touched any permissions on any file in my system within the last couple of weeks.

So now, one question remains; where did the other everyone come from? More to the point, how does one add another everyone - can you add as many everyones that you want? I'm sorry, but my paranoia says that something fishy is going on here. Some entity, a.k.a. iCloud, is apparently messing with my files.

Anyone, anything?

Aug 6, 2013 2:14 PM in response to jglaiche

So now, one question remains; where did the other everyone come from? More to the point, how does one add another everyone - can you add as many everyones that you want?

Your paranoia is understandable but there is no need to worry. Everyone is a group created by the system default. You can add users to the group using the Terminal or "Directory Utility," and group membership is calculated by the system according to users with a GUID below 12 (ie, ROOT). The default permissions for your home folder are User RW, staff R, everyone R. Write=2 and read=4 for permissions. Thus, your home folder has permissions set to 644, by default. I am attaching a screenshot of my home folder and the group 'everyone' in directory utility. See below for more useful information on permissions and ACLs explained. Everyone is a misleading term in the case of permissions and you should not be alarmed by it.

File Permissions in Mac OS X | Macinstruct

Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X - Support - Apple

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 6, 2013 4:44 PM in response to nbar

That's all well and good, but why do I have two "everyone" groups on some files and not on other files? Who created the second "everyone" group and why does it have custom access?

One is set to read and write, which is correct and what I wish to have. But the other is set to custom. I still have no clue who set it and what custom access means? what does "Custom" allow? And what does it disallow?

Aug 8, 2013 5:41 AM in response to Barney-15E

OK guys, let’s try this again. The previous technical explanations were very impressive and informative. Unfortunately, they did not even approach answering my question.

Recently, only since August 1, the following messages - see screenshots - have been appearing on virtually all of my Pages documents.

In fact, the smuggling document shown here in the screenshots was edited on Monday the fifth without incident or any of these messages at all. These messages appeared today.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

So when I access “Get Info” to change the properties, this is what I see . . .

User uploaded file

Now, to restate my earlier question; who or what application created the second everyone group (the top one)? Note, I did not create that group.

Note, that group cannot be deleted. It’s privileges can be changed and must be changed in order to allow users to work on the document.

My own feeling is that all of this has something to do with iCloud as most of the documents if not all that are affected by this particular situation are Pages documents, Internet documents, etc. BTW, I have since signed OFF of iCloud.

I also must ask about the possibility of a virus as well.

Please respond in plain English not in techie speak even though I understand techie speak and I was a professional techie I would prefer this to be a straightforward answer if possible. Thank you.

Dec 21, 2016 4:47 AM in response to nbar

I'm having the same problem. At some point, and I suspect a previous update, I started finding I had an additional 'everyone' with a 'custom' permission at the top of the list of permissions. This effectively interferes with all files up to a certain date when I try to access them through a program like Lightroom or Photoshop. I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.1. Can I just copy and paste the command you've provided and all will be resolved. I'm no technician and have a mortal fear of causing irreparable damage. I do have a time machine backup.

weird permissions issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.