Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Give names to discs of a same album

Hi !

I wanted to know if it was possible to give names to different discs of a same album.
For example, in Fire Emblem: Awakening Soundtrack, each disc (5 total) represents an emblem (Disc 1: Sable, 2: Gules, 3: Azure, 4: Vert & 5: Argent) or in the Nobuo Uematsu Limited Selection 2012 album, there are two discs named "Main Quest" and "Vinyl Treasure Side Quest".

And I like the idea each disc has a name, it's like chapters of a book, it's part of the album.

Is it possible to unite them under the same name (e.g. "Fire Emblem: Awakening Original Soundtrack" and "Limited Selection 2012") and label the discs with the names that are their own (Disc 1: Sable, Disc 2: Gules, ...) ? And if not, can it be an idea added in future version of iTunes ?

Thanks in advance !

Charles

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 8:52 AM

7 replies

Aug 6, 2013 9:29 AM in response to N3M1C0

Yes, you an do what you want now in iTunes.

In the Info tab of the Get Info window for the album enter the name of the Album you want. Once you've done that you will have 5 seperate albums. Now highlight all the Albums and do a Get Info and click the Sorting tab. In the Sort Album field enter the name of the "master album" you want.

This is a really simple way to do it. But you can play with the ID3 tags to get the display just the way you want it. Also, don't forget to enter the correct disc number data.

Aug 16, 2013 12:04 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

Hi ! Thanks for answering !

If I get it, this way allows me to create 5 albums and put them all together at the same place in my Albums sorting but keep them separated.

But I want to have the 5 albums under one cover. When I click this cover, I want it to reveal the 5 albums but with their names written next/instead of the disc number.

Is it possible ?

Aug 16, 2013 12:41 PM in response to N3M1C0

N3M1C0 wrote:

If I get it, this way allows me to create 5 albums and put them all together at the same place in my Albums sorting but keep them separated.

Yes, this is correct. For example see this screen shot of how I have King Crimson's 13 disc 40th anniversary release of Larks' Tongues in Aspic tagged:

User uploaded file

N3M1C0 wrote:

But I want to have the 5 albums under one cover. When I click this cover, I want it to reveal the 5 albums but with their names written next/instead of the disc number.

At this time this is not possible. If you give each album a unique name it will show up in the library as a unique album, as in my example above. However, there are a variety of ways to configure the ID3 tags, so I suggest you experiment until you find something you like.

Oct 6, 2015 8:09 AM in response to N3M1C0

Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem? I too would like to be able to title discs within a multi-disc album. For example, I have an album where one disc is "Radio Sessions" and the second disc is "Live in Belfast." Right now I've put those in the comments, but it seems no combination of using the Album or Sorting Album tag lets me group these as a single album where each disc could have a different name...

Give names to discs of a same album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.