Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Key or SD card for macbook air 2013?

Hi,

I have a macbook air 2013 ( 1,7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 Go 1600 MHz DDR3).

What is best for performance: using the usb with a USB 3.0 device or using a sd card?

Next question: what's the format for performance: fat, exfat, mac os? I don't intend to share usb Key or SD key with other devices (except my iMac.

Thanks to anyone who has experience and can share info on this.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 9:59 AM

newer USB 3.0 sticks can get 50-100 megabytes

Most SD cards are 56mb-60mb/s., the fastest are 95........it depends on the class of SD card you have in the SD card slot, (class 3,...4...5....6)

In most instances, a high class USB thumb drive is faster than generic level SD cards

format all them for Mac OSX extended journaled if your NOT going to use them in any other device.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2013 9:59 AM in response to mspeters

newer USB 3.0 sticks can get 50-100 megabytes

Most SD cards are 56mb-60mb/s., the fastest are 95........it depends on the class of SD card you have in the SD card slot, (class 3,...4...5....6)

In most instances, a high class USB thumb drive is faster than generic level SD cards

format all them for Mac OSX extended journaled if your NOT going to use them in any other device.

Dec 28, 2013 8:03 PM in response to mspeters

I finally bought a SDXC card by Kingston. Since it's formatted using exFat, today, I regret it because it causes a conflict with Spotlight's index under Mavericks. I can't index my card now because to stop the problem, the card has to be put on the spotlight confidentiality exclusion list. Too late... Just wanted to let people know.

USB Key or SD card for macbook air 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.