Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to transfer photos from iPod classic (earlier version) to my mc

I just brought a new imac and I am trying to transfer my photos from my ipod classic earlier version (software version 1.3, 30GB) to my iMAC.

iPod classic, ipod software version 1.3 / 30GB

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 11:22 AM

The photos syned to the iPod are very low res versions of the original photos, optimized to fit on the iPod's small screen while taking up as little space in storage as possible. They are stored in a single special database file. You cannot use iTunes to transfer them to the Mac, and if you could, they would look bad blown up to a larger size on the iMac's screen.

There is a setting on the iPod's Photos screen in iTunes (a checkbox) that says Include full-resolution photos. IF that setting was checked when you synced the photos to the iPod, you can Enable disk use and find the originial full res photo files in the Photos folder (on the iPod).

Otherwise, you should transfer the original photo files from your previous computer, if possible.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2013 11:22 AM in response to Laudelin

The photos syned to the iPod are very low res versions of the original photos, optimized to fit on the iPod's small screen while taking up as little space in storage as possible. They are stored in a single special database file. You cannot use iTunes to transfer them to the Mac, and if you could, they would look bad blown up to a larger size on the iMac's screen.

There is a setting on the iPod's Photos screen in iTunes (a checkbox) that says Include full-resolution photos. IF that setting was checked when you synced the photos to the iPod, you can Enable disk use and find the originial full res photo files in the Photos folder (on the iPod).

Otherwise, you should transfer the original photo files from your previous computer, if possible.

May 3, 2014 6:46 AM in response to Laudelin

Woah, time travel!

When you plug in your iPod, then open iPhoto, your iPod should appear under the Devices section. If the view does not change to show the photos on your iPod, click on your iPod's name. The "import" options appear near the bottom of the window

Sometimes, Snow Leopard's iPhoto doesn't detect a device so you may have to quit and reopen the app a few times until your iPod appears under the Devices section.

You can also use programs such as iExplorer to view an download anything from iOS devices.

how to transfer photos from iPod classic (earlier version) to my mc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.