Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect my iPod Mini to a 2012 GMC Yukon XL?

There's a USB slot in the car, but my iPod Mini won't play through it. Do I need some type of adapter? My son-in-law's iPhone 4 seemed to play just fine. Thanks!

iPod classic

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 9:48 PM

If the connection is made through a USB port, the iPod (or iPhone) is probably NOT doing the "playing." It is acting as a storage device with song files, and the car audio system is accessing the song files and doing the playing. It would be the same as putting song files on a USB flash drive an connecting it to that port.

Therefore, I think the problem comes down to whether the car audio system can access whatever is connected to that USB port, and find the song files on it. An iPod mini is quite old at this point, so that car audio system may not know how to access it and find the song files on it. You'll need to consult the car audio system's specifications to see what devices are compatible (and also what audio file types are compatible - AAC, MP3, bit rate...).

It is likely to be compatible with any standard USB flash drive. You can get a 16GB USB flash drive for around $10-20 these days, so instead of connecting an old iPod (or iPhone) there, you may want to load a cheap USB flash drive with songs, and leave it connected to that USB port (until you want to change the songs). Here's one that barely sticks out of the port.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/SanDisk/SDCZ33016G/

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2013 9:48 PM in response to Jeweltex

If the connection is made through a USB port, the iPod (or iPhone) is probably NOT doing the "playing." It is acting as a storage device with song files, and the car audio system is accessing the song files and doing the playing. It would be the same as putting song files on a USB flash drive an connecting it to that port.

Therefore, I think the problem comes down to whether the car audio system can access whatever is connected to that USB port, and find the song files on it. An iPod mini is quite old at this point, so that car audio system may not know how to access it and find the song files on it. You'll need to consult the car audio system's specifications to see what devices are compatible (and also what audio file types are compatible - AAC, MP3, bit rate...).

It is likely to be compatible with any standard USB flash drive. You can get a 16GB USB flash drive for around $10-20 these days, so instead of connecting an old iPod (or iPhone) there, you may want to load a cheap USB flash drive with songs, and leave it connected to that USB port (until you want to change the songs). Here's one that barely sticks out of the port.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/SanDisk/SDCZ33016G/

Aug 8, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Many thanks for the explanation of the iPod being a storage device for the song files, much like a USB Flash Drive. Since the iPod Mini only holds 4GB, I have several of that size currently unused. Perhaps one of them would be acceptable. I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but...after I connect the iPod Mini to my 10 yr. old Dell laptop, how to do I transfer the files to the Flash Drive? (I know, I need a new Apple laptop; but,this Dell just won't completely die!)

Thanks again for being patient with me; this is my first foray into the Apple Support Communities. I really appreciate your prompt help. I gave myself an iPad 3rd gen for Christmas and plan to ask some questions about it as soon as I figure out what to ask!

Aug 8, 2013 11:18 AM in response to Jeweltex

If the songs on the iPod mini are in your computer's current iTunes library, you should use that as the source, and not the iPod mini.

If the songs on the iPod are NOT in your computer's iTunes library, you will need to offload the songs from the iPod to the computer and add them to your iTunes library, as the first step.

You cannot transfer song files from iPod to computer using iTunes, except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store. However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do a Google search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links.

To get the song files from the iTunes library onto a non-Apple device, such as a USB flash drive, open iTunes and select the music library so that the list of songs is shown. Or, you can show any playlist with songs. Open a Windows Explorer (or My Computer) window that shows the storage device. Drag the songs you want from the iTunes window the to window showing the storage device. That should copy the song files.

I know, I need a new Apple laptop; but,this Dell just won't completely die!

A new MacBook would be nice, but iTunes works mostly the same between the Windows and Mac versions. 🙂

If you have any follow-up questions, just post back...

How do I connect my iPod Mini to a 2012 GMC Yukon XL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.