Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parallels general advice

I have a 2011 Mac Mini and I'm about to purchase a MacBookPro and wanted to be able to run some of my work related Windows based software on the Mac's using Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac software. Both Macs will be running Mountain Lion and I would be installing Windows 7 Home Premium. I haven't installed Parallels yet and was looking for some general advice or precaustions that anyone might have relating to the installation and use of the software and the various ways of viewing/accessing the Windows side.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated, thank you.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), Updated version of iTunes

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 2:24 PM

21 replies

Aug 6, 2013 2:34 PM in response to sjc47

The best advice I can probably give is for you to look for and ask for tips and advice in the Parallels Mac forum:

http://forum.parallels.com/forumdisplay.php?58-Parallels-Desktop-for-Mac

You will absolutely need to run antivirus and antispyware software in Windows, just as you would any other Windows system. You'll also want to have plenty of RAM in your system so that you don't strangle either Windows or Mac OS X. I'd recommend having at least 8GB in your Mac if possible. How much you can allocate to Windows will depend on what version you have; the 32-bit version can't access more than about 3.2GB of RAM no matter how much you allocate in Parallels.

Otherwise, my experience is that in general Parallels Desktop is quite easy and straightforward to set up and run, so your experience is quite likely to be good.

Regards.

Aug 6, 2013 2:55 PM in response to varjak paw

A Parallels for Mac Tutorial Page.

And the documentation...

I would read the Getting Started and User's Guide before you dive in. It will prepare you for type of install and configuration settings questions/decisions that you will encounter. The videos may be useful for you too. Preplan.

You should have a minimum of 8 GB memory in your mini. Parallels suggests 4GB for WIndows 7 ... but start with 3GB. Home Premium will be fine in 64-bit if you have it. Have your Windows License key handy before the install. Allocate about 30GB for Windows minimum ... more if your Corporate work will require it. Allocate only half of your available CPU threads to the Virtual machine. If Parallels is sitting on an SSD, more the merrier.

If you install Parallels and Safari will not work, look in your ~/Library/Safari/Extensions folder for a Parallel's extension that I found was the culprit. Hopefully, in the last two months, they have fixed this.

Aug 6, 2013 4:13 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for the informative replies. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. A bit more information about my Mac Mini, I do have 8GB of RAM and I recently replaced the original HDD with a 128GB Corsair Force GS SSD that has the OS and all applications running on it. I use a Firewire 800 connected G Tech HDD and Netgear Ultra 4 Plus NAS for file storage.

The main purpose for Parallels for me would be when I get the MacBookPro. I am an audio video integrator and do home control programming, etc. and the programming software is not available in Mac versions. I actually have a dedicated custom built desktop Windows 7 PC but that is my CD ripping, video conversion/editing, music playing machine that I don't want to "infect" with any software that is not related to the above mentioned functions. I like working in the Mac environment for my daily mail, MS Office, etc. and most of my clients use Macs so it helps me stay current with what they are using. That is why I would like to be able to run my control programming software on the Mac Mini using Parallels. I thought it would be nice to be able to do the programming on the Mac Mini with the 24" monitor then just bring it along to the job site on the MacBookPro that I'm about to buy (my 9 uear old Dell laptop I was using is on its last leg!).

I did look through Getting Started/User Guide from Parallels web site and will check out the Parallels Mac Forum to prepare.

Just so I understand how Parallels works, it apparently does not create a separate partition for Windows but rather runs Windows side by side with my Mac OSX within the same partition? Is this a correct assumption? Also, if I have drives like the above mentioned G Tech that are formated for Mac OSX will I be able to see and access those drives from the Windows side running on Parallels?

Thanks again for the great information.

Aug 6, 2013 4:56 PM in response to sjc47

Parallels on a Mac and Windows 7 works great. You may need to install more memory though. I have 6GBs installed and I use up alot of it. If you have M/S Office installed on your Mac you don't not need another license.. you'll be able to run Office from either Mac OS or Windows VM simultaneously. Files are interchangeable between Mac and the Windows VM. In fact you'll see files on your Mac Desktop in your Windows desktop window.

Aug 7, 2013 8:03 AM in response to woodmeister50

So it sounds like the main theme is to have lots of RAM. I didn't realize the Mac Mini could handle more than 8GB of RAM so I'll look into a 16GB upgrade for my Mac Mini.

Couple of other questions and then I'm ready to install. Thanks again for all your input and information.

Viking OSX, are the memory and drive allocations set automatically upon installing Parallels or do I set those manually as you are suggesting?

Do you prefer the "Window" view or "Coherence" view where Windows programs are next to Mac applications on the Mac desktop (as described on the Get Started card that came with the software)? Do either of these view options affect performance in either a positive or negative way?

Will the Sophos Anti Virus software I'm running on my Mac Mini will work for the Windows VM side as well or do I need to install something like Microsoft Security Essentials on the Windows VM.

Last question, will the 8GB chips I have in my Mac Mini work in a new 13" Mac Book pro which will probably come with 4GB or are there physical size differences specific to the MacBookPro family?

Aug 7, 2013 3:17 PM in response to sjc47

Viking OSX, are the memory and drive allocations set automatically upon installing Parallels or do I set those manually as you are suggesting?

Parallels has manual settings for you to tweak the memory, cpu, gpu, and drive sizing. It is important that you let Parallels install its support tools into your Win 7 guest container during the install process. These are auto-enabled and should not be disabled.

OWC (macsales) is one source of 2x8GB memory for 16GB total.

I used the Window view instead of Coherence as I wanted more "separation" between Mac and Win.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, though I read a report earlier this year that ranked Bit-Defender ($) software at the top of the Win security software. Not a fan of Sophos.

I don't have an answer for the 2013 Mac Book Pro memory compatibility requirement versus your 2011 Mac mini. Apple has only shipped the 2013 Mac Book Air so far.

Aug 7, 2013 3:29 PM in response to VikingOSX

I use VirtualBox, found the performance (for my needs) better than Parallels, however ....

I rarely use Windows at the same time as OSX so I dedicated 75% of the Ram to Vbox, and both processors. Windows runs fast and Vbox suspends fast. So I just treat Windows (which loads with Excel already running) as just another app. It's my 'proper' copy of Excel. Files save to the OSX documents folder.

VM's are so much more reliable and flexible than Boot Camp, and they break a lot less.

Aug 8, 2013 3:39 AM in response to sjc47

Personally, I use Windows in Parallels in full screen mode.

More often than not I need the screen real estate and have

many windows and/or apps required to be open in the Windows

mode as well as need for often many documents or website

open in OSX. I then simly swipe between desktops.

When initially creating a VM, the VM settings will have default values.

You can change them as needed depending on your application, in

particular RAM and VRAM allocations.

As for the comment above on VM stability, my personal experience

has been that VMs running Windows on Macs are more stable than

the same configurations running on actual PCs.

Aug 8, 2013 10:35 AM in response to VikingOSX

I successfully installed Parallels and it appears to be running properly. I downloaded and installed a couple of my applications and they loaded properly with the exception of a wierd "tiling" effect the first couple of times I launched one of these applications. I also upgraded my Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM.

I also use MS Security Essentials on my custom built PC but are you saying I need to download Security Essentials for the Windows side and continue to use Sophos for the Mac side. I downloaded Sophos because it was free. Why aren't you a fan and/or are there any other recommendations for AV for the Mac side?

I ended up going with Coherence view for now. I only have two or three applications that I will be running in Windows and all my files are centralized on my Netgear NAS so it just seemed more integrated to go this route with files for both Mac and Windows being stored in the same place.

Aug 8, 2013 5:32 PM in response to sjc47

I have been using Apple products since 1985. The only malware that I ever encounted since then was an infected Word document that came from a Windows PC in 1994. Since then, I have occasionally installed, ran, and promptly deinstalled various anti-virus products (mostly out of curiosity) and have never found any malware.

Apple has several levels of protection already built into OS X.

I run double NAT on my Airport Router. I run the OS X firewall. I don't use anti-virus software. Don't believe, based on past experience, that it is necessary. You can if it provides you with additional piece of mind. I wouldn't run Windows in a Virtual Machine without strong anti-virus software.

Aug 9, 2013 9:56 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you VikingOSX for the information. As you did, I installed the Sophos free software out of curiosity and found no threats. It doesn't appear to affect performance. My question still is do I have to actually download and install something like MS Security Essentials on the Windows VM created by Parallels or will Sophos work on both sides?

Also, just as a note, after installing Parallels (and to be fair, upgrading the RAM to 16GB) I've noticed that my Mac Mini takes considerably longer to get to the login screen and then after entering my password I get a spinning ball for about 15 seconds before the desktop appears. This process was instantaneous prior to Parallels (having installed an SSD prior to Parallels). I also noticed that it took about a minute for the Mini to come out of sleep mode.

I'm not impressed so far with what Parallels is doing to performance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Parallels general advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.