Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mail account suddenly disappeared from Mail.

This started out being a problem with syncing mail with my iPhone, but I see that my mail account doesn't appear in Mail preferences anymore. I've tried checking the box beside "mail" under system preferences > Mail, Contacts & Calendars, then going to Mail preferences, but the account still doesn't show up. And when I go back to System Preferences, the box is not checked.

I've tried re-setting up my mail account, but it tells me that account already exists.

I've tried repairing permissions, but that didn't help.

I've tried disconnecting and re-connecting the modem (Mail inbox tells me "Unable to Connect" and Connection Doctor says IMAP and SMTP accounts could not connect.)

What should I do now???

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.33 GHz 6-Core IntelXeon, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 2:54 PM

13 replies

Aug 7, 2013 4:38 AM in response to Csound1

Sorry -- yes I did edit. I have 5 aliases for my iCloud account. Will they all disappear? You can tell I'm reluctant to delete when it has been fine from the time iCloud was set up, and I made no changes in anything when this happened.

Will this help? When I click on the exclamation triangle for iCloud mail, the "Unable to Connect" box comes up and says:

The server returned the error: The server “p01-imap.mail.me.com” cannot be contacted on port 143

When I check in the account preferences, it says Port 993 and Use SSL is checked. If I uncheck Use SSL, port 143 appears. But the box is checked, so shouldn't the computer be using port 993?

Aug 7, 2013 6:03 AM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Your iCloud account is stored on the server unless you changed that by creating local folders.

But as you are concerned backup your Mac before doing anything.

You should be using 993, SSL on (incoming) and 587 SSL on (outgoing) But you should be using the automatic setup available in System Preferences>iCloud.

A general understanding of POP vs Imap systems would also be an advantage, when you said:

My iCloud accounts are IMAP. Hopefully, they are all backed up in Time Machine. But doesn't deleting the account also delete all the emals connected to it?

You specified Imap but were concerned about consequences that apply to POP systems.

Aug 7, 2013 6:11 AM in response to Csound1

I must admit a lack of understanding here.

I thought time machine backs up everything I tell it to. In this case, all my mail folders, whether IMAP or POP, no?

How do I change port configurations? I thought that was automatic. I haven't touched them, so why, all of a sudden, is this a problem?

Time Machine does backup everything. When did it last run?

Why are you playing with port configurations (you brought it up) if you are using automatic configuration, or are you. Tell me how you entered this email account, exactly please.

PS

I just noticed this:

I thought time machine backs up everything I tell it to.

Are you attempting to control TM somehow, are you trying to choose what gets backed up (either by using exclusions or some 3rd party junk?)

What did you 'tell' TM to do?

Aug 7, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Csound1

I'm not playing with port configurations. I haven't touched them. I brought it up because, as I said, when I clicked on the triangle in mail that indicates I'm not connected, the box that came up mentioned about the port.

Time Machine last backed up at 8:26 this morning.

Yes, I used automatic configuration. I just followed the directions. Remember, this has all been working fine until yesterday, when I noticed my mail in my iPhone was not appearing on my computer's Apple Mail. So for months (since getting this computer 11-12), mail has been working just fine -- until now.

My mail account suddenly disappeared from Mail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.