Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inconsistent iBa video file info..file extension?

iBa information says to use video files only as .mp4 However, iBa 2 'what's new' indicates that any file that QuickTime can read is usable. QT can read .m4v

Will there be a problem with the use of video files extentions of .m4v or not?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 2:41 PM

9 replies

Aug 6, 2013 3:10 PM in response to photojournal

The iBooks Author support does not clarify video file extension requirements. Both .mp4 and .m4v would be QuickTime compatible by the link to QuickTimes list of acceptable files. However, iBA negates part of this by rejecting .m4v files. As I have the files in.m4v I would like to use them as such. It would be helpful to know if they are usable or not. As before, I will be using media widgets.

Aug 6, 2013 3:21 PM in response to photojournal

That document breaks discussion out between those two widget types versus video format and seem clear enough to me.

If you're still not satisfied, you should take time out to test your specific content in all the ways you intent do use it in your books.

Remember too that their definition of compatible encompasses both files that will be optimized when added and files that are usable as-is. Using QT as the base definition goes back a long ways in therms of file types.

I would work to establish a recipe for my own content in that case, and then batch convert first, bringing them all forward to iPad compatibility and only then use them in iBA.

Aug 6, 2013 3:29 PM in response to K T

Bringing videos to iPad compatibility is the problem. The information for iPad/iBookAuthor says practically any file that Quicktime can read is good for iBook Author. It is important for me to get this right as I have only basic software tools (iMovie, Quicktime). I think Compressor (if it is available to buy) would be more than I could digest and use.

Aug 7, 2013 9:32 AM in response to photojournal

Here is the answer:

iBooks Author 2.0 or later can import video files that are supported by Quicktime. The exception is files that already contain DRM encryption.

iBooks Author will automatically optimize video files that meet the requirement for video on the iPad. Files that already meet the requirements will not need to be re-optimized.

For a list of supported Quicktime formats, check out the following link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775

Inconsistent iBa video file info..file extension?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.