Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't iMovie let me use certain clip lengths?

When I'm adjusting the length of a clip such as a photo, iMovie doesn't seem to like certain numbers. If I enter 3.1s, for example, iMovie always changes it back into 3.0s. Why does this happen? I suppose it has something to do with frame counts or what not but I'm not really sure, so does anyone know?

iMovie '11

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 2:32 PM

7 replies

Aug 6, 2013 4:57 PM in response to ffiti

ffiti wrote:

No, not in iMovie. 3.5 gives me three and a half seconds. So you don't know why this happens?

Ah, OK. In iMovie>Preferences you must have Display time as HH:MM:SS:Frames unchecked.

So you're right entering 3.5 would give you 3 and a half seconds. For some reason though that mode doesn't recognize .1 seconds.

For finer grain control you might trying checking the preference option. Then what I said in my original post should work.

Matt

Aug 7, 2013 6:39 PM in response to ffiti

I've tried both settings, Matthew's and the unchecked (which I've always used successfully), but in the newest project I've started, iMovie will not accept ANY changed durations on my added still photos. I've been working around by underestimating the duration I want (say 2.5 seconds or 3.4 seconds) by typing in 2.0 seconds or 2.6 seconds but the duration iMovie produces is utterly random -- 3.2 or 3.8 in these examples.

Any further ideas?

Many thanks!

Why doesn't iMovie let me use certain clip lengths?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.