Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trick Mac Mini into 2 Displays when only 1 is attached

Is there a way to trick OSX Mountian Lion into having 2 displays when only one is connected? for extended desktop (not mirrored)
I need this because I typically use screen share or remote access to control many mac minis at the projectors or TVs while they are running presentations or videos and would like the ability to make changes to play lists and need the primary display and dock not to interrupt the secondary display running the presentation. Right now I have to physically attach a small TV and it is not practical.

Any assistance you could offer would be appreciated.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 2:44 PM

2 replies

Aug 7, 2013 3:26 AM in response to Mikethesoundguy

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I would recommend using the HDMI Detective Plus (EXT-HDMI-EDIDP) with HDMI cable. OS X would be tricked into having 2 displays connected and would allow you to switch off your second display while maintaining a continuous read of the display information, maintaining an uninterrupted video delivery throughout the process.

Specifications

Video Connector: (1) HDMI Type A 19-pin

Trick Mac Mini into 2 Displays when only 1 is attached

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.