Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I receive texts on my iPad?

I receive texts on my iPhone and would like to receive them also on my ipad as an iMessage. It has done this in the past but for some reason it is not doing so right now.

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 2:52 PM

19 replies

Aug 6, 2013 3:16 PM in response to lllaass

From the OPs original post: "It has done this in the past but for some reason it is not doing so right now."

I was assuming from this he was referring to people with iMessage capable iPhones and possibly the problem is on his iPad. One place to look would be if the phone number was missing in the receive at. If it is there he can move on to other things, like the person sending him texts has changed phones to another device or they have a problem with iMessage.

Jan 3, 2014 8:15 AM in response to Rico17

What type of messages is it not receiving?

As was said the iPad cannot receive SMS text messages which would appear as green messages in the Messages App on your iPhone.

It will only recevie the blue iMessage messages.

So if someone sends you an SMS text message trhe iPad cannot receive it.

If someone sends you an iMessage that iPad should receive it.

Jan 6, 2014 12:24 PM in response to Phil0124

You have answered my burning question. Thanks! However, I am now super disappointed as I've just got my iPad and wanted to receive SMS texts on it. (My iPad is WiFi only.)

I take it that iPad with 4G capability is able to receive SMS texts... Correct?

Is there any cool app that enables iPad w/just WiFi to receive SMS texts?

Thanks!

snw

Phil0124 wrote:

What type of messages is it not receiving?

As was said the iPad cannot receive SMS text messages which would appear as green messages in the Messages App on your iPhone.

It will only recevie the blue iMessage messages.

So if someone sends you an SMS text message trhe iPad cannot receive it.

If someone sends you an iMessage that iPad should receive it.

Jan 6, 2014 1:23 PM in response to snwshrddr

snwshrddr wrote:

You have answered my burning question. Thanks! However, I am now super disappointed as I've just got my iPad and wanted to receive SMS texts on it. (My iPad is WiFi only.)

I take it that iPad with 4G capability is able to receive SMS texts... Correct?

Is there any cool app that enables iPad w/just WiFi to receive SMS texts?

Thanks!

snw

No. Natively the iPad cannot receive or send SMS even the cellular models can't do this because they can't use the Phone and text service from the cellular provider only the Internet Data connection. There are 3rd party Apps that will allow you to send SMS to phones but most require an account with an SMS Gateway Server to be able to send actual SMS messages.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/real-sms-for-ipad/id373005780?mt=8

There of course other messaging services, like Apple's own iMessage, and Google's Google Talk that can send messages to other users of the same service.

Jan 6, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Phil0124

You could use a 3rd party app like WhatsApp. For it to work both you and the person sending the message will need the app. The app is compatible across different mobiles or tablets.

If you allow it access to your contacts it will check to see if anyone has the app installed and then lets you know who you could contact immediately.

You can then send messages, picture messages, emails etc. between each other or between groups. The app just uses your data plan on your mobile contract or the connection to the internet you are using.

Apart from using an app like this I don't know of way of sending SMS text messages to your iPad if it is WiFi only.

Cheers,

Jan 6, 2014 2:22 PM in response to smokehead

smokehead wrote:

You could use a 3rd party app like WhatsApp.

Except Whatsapp is not available for iPad. But yes there are other internet messaging Apps available in the App store. Including, but not limited to, Apple's own iMessages. Though it only works between Apple devices and computers.

Other than that as was said there are some Apps in the store that let you send actual SMS messages but you need an account with an SMS gateway.

Basically the iPad was not designed to send SMS texts.

Feb 19, 2015 7:13 PM in response to snwshrddr

Yes you can send/receive SMS (green) text messages on iPad.

to activate it you need to have both devices infront of you at the same time.

First, On your iPhone click settings, then go to messages you should see an option for "Text message forwarding" turn it on.

Then, a message will pop up, on both devices providing you with a code, once you enter it on the iPad you will start receiving txt msgs.

Feb 20, 2015 7:15 AM in response to Jessatx

Just to clarify,

This is a year and a half old thread. The last post was made over a year ago. At the time this was going on, Continuity did not exist. so at that point in time the answer was correct.

Now, the iPad still can't send SMS messages by itself, it needs an iPhone that is on the same Wifi network as it is to make use of Continuity and be able to send and receive SMS messages.

how can I receive texts on my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.