Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Idevices are getting an IP address that is similar to Verizon Actiontec router, however I'm using Airport is primary router? Why?

I have my airport time capsule as primary router hooked up by ethernet from ONT from Verizon. My Verizon Actiontec router is hooked up to APtime capsule via LAN for DVR and TV guide. It works, however my Idevices will get a different IP address 192.168.1 from time to time and not be able to access the internet. I fix this by renewing my lease then the device goes back to the IP 10.0.0.1 like it should. My question is why does this happen? How do I prevent it?

Thank You in Advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Ipad Iphone Airport Time Capsule

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 7:18 PM

1 reply

Aug 9, 2013 6:59 AM in response to alfredlino

Hi alfredlino,

If you are seeing 2 different ranges of IP addresses, you might be in a double NAT situation as described in this article:

Back to My Mac: "Double NAT" configurations may prevent Back to My Mac connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1208

Even if you are not using Back to My Mac, the article still remains valid:

Additional Information

How to tell if you are using "double NAT"

While every network setup is different, here is a simple way to tell if your computer is on a "double NAT" network:

1. In Finder, from the Go menu, choose Utilities.
  2. Open Network Utility.
  3. Click Traceroute.
  4. In the field, enter "www.mac.com".
  5. Click Trace.

After starting the trace, look for the line beginning with the number 2. If the address in that line is any IP address in either of the following ranges:

• 10.x.x.x
  • 192.168.x.x

... then your network has multiple layers of NAT.

The Resolution instructions in that article should help resolve this for you.

Cheers!

- Ari

My Idevices are getting an IP address that is similar to Verizon Actiontec router, however I'm using Airport is primary router? Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.