Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows machines unable to rename shared files

Greetings,

A client of mine has a Mac Mini running OS X Server 10.8.4 which was recently upgraded from 10.6 flavour of server. All had been working fine under 10.6.

There were a few glitches that we've dealt with but I've been stumped by an error that occurs for Windows machines connecting to the share points (SMB).

For my client his problem is that Windows programs that edit files on the share point cannot save the edited files (but can create a new file). My understanding of the save process is that there is an inherent rename/delete that takes place for an edited file.

Initially I thought that KB article http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4149 was the issue so I implemented the instructions but the symptoms continued.

I did some looking at ACLs and they all seem OK to my limited knowledge. eg.

group:managers inherited allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextat tr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit

I then tested for the problem myself via Windows Explorer - creating a new folder and trying to rename it - getting an error indicating the folder is open in another program.

Does this mean that the problem is actually related to locking in some way and not the permissions? I don't really know where to go from here!!

Any pointers as to how I should investigate further would be gratefully received :-)

Graham

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 1:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 2:20 PM

Hi Graham

We have encountered similar issues at some of our supported clients.

Have you tried a permissions propagation to see if that fixes the errors?

If you 'command I' this folder, that you cannot rename on PC, directly on the server, what permissions does it have?

Ed

2 replies

Aug 11, 2013 5:33 PM in response to Ed Adams2

Thanks for the response Ed.

I'll try a test with propagating permissions.

Interestingly info from the cmd-I window doesn't properly display for the 3 user groups that we have defined - in the left side where it should list the group names it says "Fetching...".

This may be an indicator of an LDAP issue? I may try updating the groups or deleting and re-adding them to see if that triggers a different response.

Windows machines unable to rename shared files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.