Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just downloaded Numbers and opened a spreadsheet. I can't get the SUM function to work on currency figures. It just can't seem to read them. Anyone else had this problem ?

Numbers 09 Spreadsheets. I have filled in columns of currency which I am trying to add up but the SUM function cant seem to recognise them as numbers and wont add them up. Anyone else had this problem ? What am I doing wrong ?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 8:23 AM

3 replies

Aug 7, 2013 9:00 AM in response to dirkieuys

can you post a screenshot of the table in question?

To post a screenshot make the area of your sheet visible on the screen, then type the key combination:
<command> + <shift> + 3 (<command> is the key with the  on it)

then click, and hold, at the top left corner, drag to the bottom-right corner then release the mouse button.

return to this forum, click the camera icon in the toolbar, navigate to the desktop, and select the fil titled "Screenshot..."

One way to enter a sum is to select the cells you want to sum in a table, then drag the "SUM" from the quick calculation area t the bottom left of the window:

User uploaded file

Aug 7, 2013 11:55 AM in response to dirkieuys

Enter the values as numbers. Incude the decimal separator (if necessary), but do not enter the thousands separators or the currency symbol, and do not insert spaces into the number.

Use the Cell Inspector to format the cells as Currency, check the Thousands Separator if you wish them to be inserted.

Regards,

Barry

I have just downloaded Numbers and opened a spreadsheet. I can't get the SUM function to work on currency figures. It just can't seem to read them. Anyone else had this problem ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.