Skip navigation

Remove sync icon from menu bar

1588 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2014 7:38 AM by TOinTO RSS
Larry McJunkin Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 7, 2013 10:34 AM

I know this topic is worn out here, but none of the answers work (in my situation).  I'm using Mountain Lion (no iSync installed) and I recently configured Apple Contacts to sync with Google Contacts, turned in on, then instantly remembered that Google stopped the ability in February to do this.  So I unchecked this in Contacts (Preferences) and setup CardDAV which is working fine.

Before I setup CardDAV the Sync icon appeared in my Menu Bar and mousing over it says "No devices synching".  I tried looking in user login items, but there is not a Sync available to delete, I've rebooted several times, but it remains.  I've even tried deleteing the CardDAV account....the Sync icon is still there.  Any ideas on how to get rid of it?  Oh, and Command + Drag does nothing...it's not moving from the menu bar.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion
  • Eric Root Level 6 Level 6 (13,910 points)
    Aug 7, 2013 11:57 AM (in response to Larry McJunkin)

When you attempt to command - drag, does the item gray out?  When trying command - drag, does the item move at all? If so, try dragging it further until you see a cloud.

• leroydouglas Level 6 Level 6 (13,370 points)
    Aug 7, 2013 7:26 PM (in response to Larry McJunkin)

Address Book > Preferences > Accounts > On My Mac

Then uncheck "Sync With Google"

if not so easy:

Command drag will work for System menu items to the right of the bar, not so much third party unfortunately.

------------------------------------------------------

I suspect at this point a corrupt plist ,try deleting com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

found here  by using Finder>Go>Go to Folder (command shift G):

copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist 

delete this plist.

now open terminal (Applications/Utilities/terminal.app) and paste the command:

killall SystemUIServer 

and return.

This command will kill the process and MacOS X will automatically rebuild the menu bar, clearing out old cache. Quit Terminal.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2.4GHz IntelCorei5 320GB HD 8GB RAM
  • leroydouglas Level 6 Level 6 (13,370 points)
    Aug 7, 2013 7:43 PM (in response to Larry McJunkin)

Good computing Larry McJunkin !

• GGSA Calculating status...
    Oct 16, 2013 7:11 AM (in response to leroydouglas)

Didn't work for me. Pasted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

and got a message that folder can't be found.

Where do I look. I really want to clean up my menu bar. Command and drag don't work.

Any ideas?  I am using OS 10.8.5

• TOinTO Calculating status...
    Mar 1, 2014 7:38 AM (in response to Larry McJunkin)

Command and drag worked for me.

I tried the plist solution, above, but got an error message about permissions.

Could the variations in results be associated with different versions of the Mac OS? I am currently on Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.