3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2013 1:36 PM by Jeffrey Jones2
marwandese Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I know that apps with iCloud support save a backup copy every 5 minutes automatically, is there a way to reduce the interval? It's kind of annoying to lose the last 5 minutes of work when you are in a hurry.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)
  • Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (42,270 points)

marwandese wrote:

I know that apps with iCloud support save a backup copy every 5 minutes automatically,

Where did you read that?

• etresoft Level 7 Level 7 (26,560 points)

You can always do a manual save. However, if you want to get your most recent data into iCloud, you can't immediately quit the application or close the document. You have to let it sit for a bit until your manual save completes.

• Jeffrey Jones2 Level 6 Level 6 (8,615 points)

That's not how Autosave works. It saves every time you make a change. If you are making rapid changes, it will save several times a minute, at least. If you are not actively editing, it won't save at all, as long as nothing has changed.

It is not instantaneous, but pretty close in my experience. Several years ago, when Autosave was new, I did some experiments to settle a disagreement. I typed in a TextEdit document then Force Quit. I had a hard time losing anything at all. The autosaved version was never more than a few seconds out of date.