Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing Up & Cloning Strategy for Fusion 3tb Hard Drive

Hello. Mac Newbie Here. My first iMac is being delivered this week, and in advance of delivery I am thinking and planning a back up plan to instigate right from the outset.

Can I ask all of you if the following plan is a doable, robust strategy, or any other suggestions/reccomendations please?

Also to add into the mix, I am also planning on having Windows running on a Bootcamped partition, so below I have accounted and included the back up plan I have for that partition too.

Here's my plan - your thoughts really appreciated

1: USB SYSTEM RESTORE: Planning to make a USB OS Restore flash drive as soon as I can after first boot.

2 -TIME MACHINE, I have bought a 3TB USB3 drive to run as a time machine drive from day 1. Although my internal drive, if you include the SSD element, is just a little over 3TB I don't plan on filling it anytime soon, so figured a 3TB drive would do for a while.

3: SUPER DUPER or CC CLONER. Planning to use one of these apps to make fortnightly clones of my entire Fusion Drive. Plan to re-format and use an older USB3 or USB2 External drive I have until I can find the cash to buy a new one. Also planning to do my first clone before attempting to BOOTCAMP the drive and install windows - in case that turns out to be a big fat fail.

4: WINDOWS on BootCamp Back Up Plan. Not so critical this for me, as only using it for legacy purposes, games, and as a bit of a 'Mac Newbie Comfort Blanket' and planning to run the default built in Windows 7 Back Up programme monthly onto an old USB 2 drive that I have

That's it - does this make sense? Am I doing somethign wrong? Am I reasonably protecting my system and files with this plan?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), i7 / 3TB Fusion Drive / 16GB Ram

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 1:51 PM

There are no replies.

Backing Up & Cloning Strategy for Fusion 3tb Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.