Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

college student asking: macbook air or pro?

Im a second year college student currently with a 2 year old macbook pro 15", which I have discovered is way too heavy for me to be lugging around to the library and back and around campus. But I LOVE how big the screen is on it because on of the primary uses for me is watching tv and movies on it. My mom is really rallying to take my laptop so I can get a new one and I am consdering it. But I just don't know if I should get a Macbook pro retina display, also 15", or a 13" macbook air. which would be lighter and I would be able to take to the library and around. But i would sacrifice the screen size which it what i love about my current macbook pro. I NEED HELP

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 6:12 PM

5 replies

Aug 7, 2013 6:18 PM in response to tdigeronimo

a little extra information I am a Speech Language Hearing Sciences Major, and I also use my computer a lot for viewing powerpoints while studying, and writing papers and creating projects. Typical college kid stuff. I deal a little bit with physics because of my major but I do not think that engineer grade apps will be a requirement for me.

Aug 7, 2013 6:25 PM in response to tdigeronimo

Ive got an older 15" pro, and a current 13" Air, considering youre not doing any major photo or video editing, the Air would be my choice for packing around the campus. Youve got a full power Mac with the near weight of an Ipad

Also the AIR is the only current Mac with 802ac wifi, ultralong 12 hr. battery life in 13" and I5 config, and cool running Haswell Intel infrastructure.

I honestly dont notice much diff. between my 15" pro and my 13" air, and the Air screen is a good bit sharper and has more contrast, is easier to stare at for longer periods.

7 second boot time on the SSD Air is incredible, turning on and off and on and off is a dream on a SSD air, also only one moving part, the fan.

Id get the Air, however your choice is subjective, 😉

Aug 9, 2013 10:16 AM in response to tdigeronimo

The Ipad is a TOY, its pure futility to attempt productivity on same, even though I own 2 Ipads, ....I wouldnt even think of comparing an Ipad with a genuine powerhouse like the Air.

Some people err in seeing the thin AIR and thinking is something like a netbook, which is just in actuality an over-inflated tablet. The Air is nothing like a netbook, ....have you or your dad check out the specs on the Air

http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/features.html

Between the Ipad and the Air ....is like comparing a childs pedal car to a genuine car.

Given the fact that you deem it for general school use etc, and a base Macbook pro is the roughly the same price as a Macbook Air,...YES, the Air is the superior choice.

Why? Weight,... only one moving part, ...no HD to crash from packing around campus.....ultra fast boot time, which is just incredibly important for turning off and on all the time, which IS what youll do on campus.

Also the new Air runs very cool, and is perfect for doing "bed /dorm room productivity", something College folk (as I did as well) do a lot,....bed full of books, and a laptop, on your lap.

Aug 9, 2013 1:27 PM in response to tdigeronimo

While I don't consider my iPad to be a toy, I agree with PlotinusVeritas that you will be much better off with a Macbook for your college work.

I just got a MacBook Air 13", and it is a great notebook.

I have the Retina display on my iPad, but unless you need the resolution for graphics, photography or video work, I don't think you miss it.

The Macbook Air display is a looker as well.

All of the above and best of all, it's lightweight with awesome battery life.

For the cost difference I'd go with the AIR for sure.

Good luck!

college student asking: macbook air or pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.