Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5.1 Audio Interface for Macbook Pro

I am a theatrical and cinematic sound designer. I own a Macbook Pro (Mid 2012). I would like to start working with 5.1 surround audio, but I have no idea what kind of interface would allow me to use 5.1 audio. Can anyone give me a good recommendation?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 12:26 PM

These are all interesting solutions but what I am looking to do is to hook up my Logitech 5.1 speakers to my 2013 MacBook Pro either through a USB interface or through the headphone jack (if 5.1 sound is available through it). The outputs I require need to be mini jacks, not RCA and these outputs should be Front, Center/Sub, Surround/rear. These outputs would go directly to the speakers and not through a receiver. I also prefer not to go the digital/optical route as, it seems, the sound quality is not as good.

Any assistance wuld be appreciated.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 12:26 PM in response to michaelhallbergdesign

These are all interesting solutions but what I am looking to do is to hook up my Logitech 5.1 speakers to my 2013 MacBook Pro either through a USB interface or through the headphone jack (if 5.1 sound is available through it). The outputs I require need to be mini jacks, not RCA and these outputs should be Front, Center/Sub, Surround/rear. These outputs would go directly to the speakers and not through a receiver. I also prefer not to go the digital/optical route as, it seems, the sound quality is not as good.

Any assistance wuld be appreciated.

Aug 7, 2013 5:43 PM in response to michaelhallbergdesign

Answer from Parker612 on 5.1 surround on macbook pro:

OUTPUT SURROUND SOUND FROM YOUR MAC: (simplest way)

(*Check first to see if your Mac is capable of outputting surround sound through the Mini Displayport. Most models before early 2009 are not able to output multi-channel audio)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241?viewlocale=en_US

- Use a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable and connect the HDMI into the Blu-Ray/DVD HDMI input on the receiver and the Mini Display to the Mini Display Port on your Mac.

- Go to System Preferences on your Mac. Click on the "Sound" icon. Then in the "Output" tab, select SONYAVAMP - HDMI

- Then go into Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup. On the left side of the window select HDMI. On the right side it then should say "Source: SONY AVAMP"

- Click the "Configure Speakers..." button in the bottom right of the window. Click the "Multichannel" tab. Then select "5.1 Surround" from the pull down menu. Click on each speaker to provide a test tone to make sure each is connect properly. Then click on "Apply"

- Last set is to go into the DVD Player to test it. Go to "Preferences" and click on the "Disc Setup" tab. Under Audio at the bottom of the window select "Digital Out - SONY AVAMP" from the drop down menu for "Audio output" *You now have 5.1 Channel Surround Sound from you Mac!

5.1 Audio Interface for Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.