Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Copy & Paste a Song Within iTunes Playlists?

I just 'upgraded' to iTunes 11 (actually 11.0.4). Now I cannot copy any songs within my Playlists. Can it be done, or do I have to re-import each time with a different name? I read someone's vague description about using 'View', but try as I might, I could not paste a song into my playlists after clicking Copy. This is why I DREAD upgrades. I see only a loss of usability with iTunes 11. Thanks if you can provide step by step. Bert *******

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4), I also use other computers

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 11:24 PM

6 replies

Aug 10, 2013 7:54 AM in response to BertD

Hey BertD,

Let's expand on the tip you were given earlier. I'd like to restore iTunes to a familiar layout for you:

iTunes 11: Frequently used features

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5649

Show or hide the Status Bar and Sidebar

In iTunes 11 you have the option to turn the Sidebar and the Status Bar on or off; they are off by default. To do this in the menus, go to:

Show Sidebar - Choose View > Show Sidebar (this feature will display iTunes features on the left side of the application including Library, Store, Shared, Genius, and Playlists).

Show Status Bar - Choose View > Show Status Bar (this feature will conveniently display the number of items and playback time for a category, for example, music or movies).

User uploaded file

This will bring iTunes 11 back to the familiar view of previous versions, and may help you accomplish your goal. If not, please let me know how I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Aug 13, 2013 4:36 AM in response to matt00

Matt,

Thank you for your reply. However, I think I do not have a problem with the View. I'm always viewing iTunes with the Sidebar, looking at the list of my 30 or so Playlists.

My irritation with iTunes version 11 is that I cannot Copy (highlight a song title in one Playlist and click on Edit then Copy) and Paste a song within the same Playlist. Since I posted on August 10th, I have discovered that I can Copy a song in one Playlist and Paste it multiple times in another Playlist.

This gets to Why I want to do that. I want to Copy & Paste within a playlist so I can hear some songs in a Playlist much more frequently (more often, replay more often) than other songs which I like less. The Control setting I use is Shuffle on, and Repeat - All. Previously if I heard a song which I wanted to hear more often, I could highlight that song in the playlist, click Edit & Copy and Paste let's say 10 times to boost how often it plays. Is there a hidden setting somewhere else which would allow me to raise the probability a particular song will play more frequently in the shuffle of a playlist? I guess copying a song from another playlist and pasting it into the one I'm listening to isn't that hard, it just takes longer and irritates me to have lost a feature.

And, that gets me to another irritation - I think there was a feature which iTunes used to have: I could have Controls set differently for each playlist, but now if I set Controls one way, all my playlists have the same Control settings.

Any further suggestions for above problems?

Bert **********- Aug 12, 2013

<Edited By Host>

Sep 20, 2013 12:24 AM in response to matt00

This is the exact issue I am having. I can highlight a sing name, and when I right click it, or try to copy the name, a menu pops up. I used to be able to highlight a song title, right click it, copy, then paste the name in the tool bar. This way if I have 10 artists singing the same song, I can simply view every artist who has sung that song. Any soluions?

Dec 15, 2013 2:53 PM in response to BertD

I guess I should have replied earlier - I got to discuss this with an Apple "expert" or trainer or something like that in an Apple store. As I understand what I was told: Yes, some iTunes features were lost in going to iTunes 11.

And, 2 features that I used were among the casualties: (a) you can no longer click-copy-and-paste songs within one playlist. Now to get more copies within one playlist (Why do you want that? Answer: to get more frequent rotation or repetition of one particular song (or songs) with Shuffle ON - i.e., hear it more often - while playing one playlist. (Why doesn't Apple add that feature???)) you have to copy from another playlist and paste it as many times as you want in the desired playlist.

And, (b) maybe even more irritating is I can no longer have different Controls set for each playlist - after I change Controls in any iTunes playlist all my playlists have the same Controls settings.

It sure would be nice if Apple and other software producers would provide complete lists of new and deleted features with their new software releases.

How to Copy & Paste a Song Within iTunes Playlists?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.