Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to split 2 albums same artist/the same title?

Hi guys,

I usually have no problem using iTunes grouping or sorting songs and albums, but I have no idea how to achieve this:

I have 2 different albums by the same artist:

Artist - Title - Year:

Boris - Heavy Rocks - 2001

Boris - Heavy Rocks - 2011

Yes, the same artist titled 2 different albums, with entirely different tracklists, with the same name. The only difference is its year of release.

I tried that:

Album 1

-------------

Normal tags>

Album Artist: Boris

Album: Heavy Rocks

Year: 2001

Sorting tags>

Sort artist: Boris

Sort album: Heavy Rocks 2001

Album 2

-------------

Normal tags>

Album Artist: Boris

Album: Heavy Rocks

Year: 2011

Sorting tags>

Sort artist: Boris

Sort album: Heavy Rocks 2011

No way. iTunes groups the 2 albums into one. I wish to keep the 'album' tag as shown above since they are the real album names. Any idea in order to split them up?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), iTunes 11

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 8:36 AM

Hey ermoya,

Thanks for the question, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you wish to separate two albums that have the same title and artist. You have a couple of options:

A) Make a slight variation of the title (adding a space, or adding the album year to the title)

B) Differentiate the albums by utilizing the Disc # field. This will still group the albums together, but differentiate the tracks to be on separate discs.

C) Make a slight variation of the Album Artist field

This article explains how iTunes sorts different ID3 metadata. It is usually used for the opposite situation of yours, but reversing the steps may help.

Why aren't songs with the same album art grouped together?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1468

User uploaded file

Slight variations in spacing, spelling, or punctuation of the album name can cause iTunes to consider the two songs to be from separate albums. Be sure that all the songs that are supposed to be from the same album have the exact same album name. One way to easily do this is to select all the songs and choose Get Info from the File menu and retype the album name such that it will apply to all the selected songs.

Thanks,

Matt M.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2013 8:36 AM in response to ermoya

Hey ermoya,

Thanks for the question, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you wish to separate two albums that have the same title and artist. You have a couple of options:

A) Make a slight variation of the title (adding a space, or adding the album year to the title)

B) Differentiate the albums by utilizing the Disc # field. This will still group the albums together, but differentiate the tracks to be on separate discs.

C) Make a slight variation of the Album Artist field

This article explains how iTunes sorts different ID3 metadata. It is usually used for the opposite situation of yours, but reversing the steps may help.

Why aren't songs with the same album art grouped together?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1468

User uploaded file

Slight variations in spacing, spelling, or punctuation of the album name can cause iTunes to consider the two songs to be from separate albums. Be sure that all the songs that are supposed to be from the same album have the exact same album name. One way to easily do this is to select all the songs and choose Get Info from the File menu and retype the album name such that it will apply to all the selected songs.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Apr 22, 2015 9:51 AM in response to ermoya

The solutions provided here are kludgy. iTunes simply should be smarter; Perhaps it could (but currently doesn't) use the Sort Album Name tag so the display name would be correct even as we corrupt the sort name. But ideally, the release year (not original release year), medium (a standard tag iTunes doesn't recognize), and label (ditto) should all provide differentiation.

How to split 2 albums same artist/the same title?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.