Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clean my mac

Hello I would like to know if anyone knows of a inexpensive or free reliable app that can be used to clean your mac computer. My is beginning to run slow and before I up the memory or look into upgrading I would like to know if I can clean up my system first. Thank you in advance.😕

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2017 8:58 AM

Based on my experience of using Mac for over 10 years now, Mac OS is incredibly efficient, unlike Windows which I often had to reinstall the system every now and then to keep it responsive. I don't see too much a benefit in using cleaning apps such as CleanMyMac or MacKeeper. That been said, I have installed CleanMyMac myself. It is indeed very helpful in uninstalling apps completely from Mac (a normal delete from Application folder will still leave some supporting files in the library folder), or identifying large files (cache or backup files). Most of the time, it is safe to delete the files that the app recommends; in fact, I have never encountered any issue with the usage.

It is really up to you to try out these. CleanMyMac have trial versions available anyway.

P.S. If you wanna purchase CleanMyMac, you can save a few bucks using the coupons from this site ******
<Link Edited by Host>

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Miss. K

Based on my experience of using Mac for over 10 years now, Mac OS is incredibly efficient, unlike Windows which I often had to reinstall the system every now and then to keep it responsive. I don't see too much a benefit in using cleaning apps such as CleanMyMac or MacKeeper. That been said, I have installed CleanMyMac myself. It is indeed very helpful in uninstalling apps completely from Mac (a normal delete from Application folder will still leave some supporting files in the library folder), or identifying large files (cache or backup files). Most of the time, it is safe to delete the files that the app recommends; in fact, I have never encountered any issue with the usage.

It is really up to you to try out these. CleanMyMac have trial versions available anyway.

P.S. If you wanna purchase CleanMyMac, you can save a few bucks using the coupons from this site ******
<Link Edited by Host>

Aug 8, 2013 7:57 AM in response to Miss. K

i recomment opening up your finder window and going through everything that is in here: movies, pics, music, documents, downloads etc and throw away anything you no longer use or need including applications.

once you have thrown away any unwanted items be sure to restart before emptying the trash on the dock since that way it tends to empty faster. (also a "secure" empty of the trash is not needed, normal empty by clicking the button will do)

can also remove the user and mac HD caches as well

if you have a large iphoto or itunes library you may want to look at putting those on an external drive to free up more room on the internal HD. can also get more RAM if it's able to be upgraded further.

clean my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.