Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whole vs. half transition overlap?

I might be kind of a bonehead here, but I still don't fully get whole vs. half overlap in transitions. Whole overlap I think I understand: if there is a 1-second transition between Clip A and Clip B, then the entire movie is shortened by 1 second. Correct? But I don't understand how half overlap works. Can anyone explain this clearly for me?

iMovie '11

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 6:26 AM

7 replies

Aug 8, 2013 9:07 AM in response to ffiti

Full overlap shortens the movie. Half overlap keeps it the same length. Half overlap works with photos just fine. However, for Half Overlap to work with video clips, you need some "handles". A handle is defined as an unused portion of the clip that is long enough for the transition. If you used the whole clip in your movie, there are no "handles" and you can't use half overlap. If you carefully edited out the portion of the clip where Aunt Edna is picking her nose, that may be in the "handle" and could show up in your transition.

For more, see iMovie Help here.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/#mov3a6201ac

Whole vs. half transition overlap?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.